advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

Matondo, funny you should choose a Rega turntable. A brand who haven't taken out trade adverts, ever, yet sell a metric shit tonne of product through foo free engineering, a reputation for product longevity and competitive pricing.

Matondo, funny you should choose a Rega turntable. A brand who haven't taken out trade adverts, ever, yet sell a metric shit tonne of product through foo free engineering, a reputation for product longevity and competitive pricing.

We have absolutely no problem with Rega decks, once you add Boings, Achromat, Houdini and FXR they sound great!

We have absolutely no problem with Rega decks, once you add Boings, Achromat, Houdini and FXR they sound great!

Just couple notes as I like to see threads try to be productive. My time is like all of yours (I hope) of value.

1. Matodono1 - Apretiate the position you find yourself in but from experience I would suggest a little more subdued approach. Little jabs give trolls miles of fuel.

2. 300 pounds for a device that probably costs less than half of what many of us spend for a cartridge plus as far as I can tell will not wear out does not sound like WAY too much money when you take into account it can be used (tried) on most any cartridge each of us have for years to come. In a decade some may well say it was the best money they ever spent.

Lets just all work together to be the professional bunch who when told the earth was round said ‘ok, lets see if that’s true’ as opposed to ‘burn the bastards’.

Question for the FUNK crew. Based on how important you believe this product is will you be pursuing a dedicated tome arm build along the same principles?

Just couple notes as I like to see threads try to be productive. My time is like all of yours (I hope) of value.

1. Matodono1 - Apretiate the position you find yourself in but from experience I would suggest a little more subdued approach. Little jabs give trolls miles of fuel.

2. 300 pounds for a device that probably costs less than half of what many of us spend for a cartridge plus as far as I can tell will not wear out does not sound like WAY too much money when you take into account it can be used (tried) on most any cartridge each of us have for years to come. In a decade some may well say it was the best money they ever spent.

Lets just all work together to be the professional bunch who when told the earth was round said ‘ok, lets see if that’s true’ as opposed to ‘burn the bastards’.

But but... They started it! :) Oh ok I'll be nice. Promise!

Question for the FUNK crew. Based on how important you believe this product is will you be pursuing a dedicated tome arm build along the same principles?

Erm... maybe??? Or a version of??? But if I told you i'd have to kill ya! :)

I can't understand why anyone would dismiss this product without even hearing what it might do. Could end up with a lot of egg on one's face if the positive reviews are anything to go by. Some of the naysayers are forum members who have built reputations over the years as people whose opinion counted for something. Voices worth listening to. God knows why they would decide to trash that kudos overnight.

I'm sure I will get one in the next couple of weeks.

It's impossible to A/B something that requires the removal and refitting of the cart along with whatever VTA adjustments are required. You're relying purely on aural memory, which if anything like mine is about 30 seconds.

It's impossible to A/B something that requires the removal and refitting of the cart along with whatever VTA adjustments are required. You're relying purely on aural memory, which if anything like mine is about 30 seconds.

Not impossible , but it would require two identical tonearms, cartridges ( with the same hours) and phono stages, of course the turntable would need to be able to take two tonearms, or two turntables with the same tonearms & cartridges ( with the same hours) . That way it would be simple to switch between with Houdini and without, expensive but simple. I would suggest any dealer wanting to demonstrate the Houdini would require such a set up, though the odds on finding one to do this are very slim.

Is the Houdini compatible with threaded cartridges?

assuming the cartridge bolts from beneath and the head shell from above?

From the advert I have seen, there are two types of Houdini. One for threaded cartridges, and one for the type you fit the bolts through. I think the advert had them down as “screw to” and “screw through” or something similar. I have asked for a threaded cartridge type, as I believe I can get this to work with both types of cartridge, as I own both types and don’t want to have to buy more than one Houdini.

This entire thread just shows how ****y a hobby hi-fi is, and how some of the weirdest people are involved in it.
Someone manufactures some piece of unicorn horn which almost no-one has heard, there is a £300 premium to hear the thing, there are plots between different forum characters, subplots with other forums name-dropped, because of the way the industry works there is always the scent of the shill, there is hyperbole, insults, apologies, acceptances, drawing of battle lines and the whole thread just builds the mystique of this product; free advertising for the manufacturer. Nonsense from beginning to end.

Personally, I am going to try one, because if I don’t like it Arthur is going to send me a fivers worth of Smarties.
It’s a win-win in my book.

As said earlier, my ears will decide if it is worth the £300 asking price, and not comments from someone that has never heard it.

advertisement

Back