advertisement

Fungi: the neglected kingdom

Apparently if you boil fly agarics in brine twice, the poisons/hallucinogens are removed and they are safe to eat.
You try and tell us ?

Wait... you can also ask X, Y and Z if they want to taste ? Could turn the OT room into a cooler place.

I did read a story of someone who didn't boil them enough and had a trip. I'll leave them in the "doesn't sound like a great idea" basket along with datura, morning glory and nutmeg.

A friend at school drank two packets of nutmeg stirred into water. He felt stoned and nauseous for about a day. Pretty benign compared with datura which temporarily blinded another friend, but still didn't sound like a good time.

^^^ You have/had FAR crazier friends than me. :)

I am unsure that I should have liked that post........

Stick to alcohol - well known and documented...

Apparently if you boil fly agarics in brine twice, the poisons/hallucinogens are removed and they are safe to eat.

Sadly the only mushroom hunter i know who's local has dementia, I'd love to go foraging. I'll have to learn the slow way. I found a forum a while back where you can upload photos and a spore print for identification.

Most mushrooms I spot don't look edible but I know from flicking through books that many edible varieties look like something I wouldn't touch, whereas death caps look pretty normal.

Re: the Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria) .. there are many tales around this 'shroom.
Apparently if you eat it, you will sooner or later experience wild hallucinations, from the Muscarine it contains. You will then fall into a deep sleep and wake up pretty much unaffected. Err. thanks.. but I'll pass.. I had quite enough with assorted tabs of Acid in the late 1960s. Also, though Fly Agaric doesn't usually kill... anyone ith underlying health conditions.. etc..
Another tale is that some northern Scandi types., Laplanders etc., would get their women to chew on the fungus to take out the worst poisons and then eat them. Very Misogynistic that. Other tales of people drinking the urine of those who have eaten the 'Shroom as it still contains the active ingredient.
Finally, it seems that the idea of Santa's flying reindeer comes from the fact that Reindeer eat the things voraciously in the Birch forests of Northern Scandinavia

A friend at school drank two packets of nutmeg stirred into water. He felt stoned and nauseous for about a day. Pretty benign compared with datura which temporarily blinded another friend, but still didn't sound like a good time.
I tried nutmeg once a long time ago. I wanted to get high and it was all there was! Two heaped tablespoons of ground nutmeg in a glass of warm milk and a bunch of sugar to make for easy drinking.

I felt very stoned for some time and found it worthwhile. I don’t recall any nausea but my dose was somewhat lower than your friend’s.
The next morning I woke with such a tremendous and long lasting hangover that I never did nutmeg again!

Was never interested in datura or morning glory seeds. They were for nutters, imo!

As a PC alternative?

If so, please God, give me strength and help me rewrite thousands of years of history and much besides, all to less than no avail whatsoever.

God, please, preserve me from tokenism and those so very shallow as to attach so much to it.

If not your meaning @DimitryZ, my most sincere of apologies.
Well, Karen, it is my meaning.

I object to those many years of history when my ancestors were persecuted, tortured and murdered because they were different. In order to make the good and kind Christians feel better about all that blood, Jews were dehumanized throughout history, using both behavioral and visual slurs and insults. So we were thought to have horns, drink the blood of christian babies, rip people of and, yes, to be ugly, smelly and generally disgusting. So much so that downright extermination was just fine.

Jews ears have a particarly nasty etimology, as it refers to their natural habitat - the elder tree - as the tree used by Judas Iscariot to hang himself. So in that *harmless* name is thousands of years of persecution for "having killed Jesus" and oh by the way you are ugly, too. Most gentiles really don't have a clue.

So yes, Karen, it's exactly what I mean.

@DimitryZ : You are taking the piss, and it's not the first time. At first I thought your post was unintentional and intended for some other thread, about racism or somesuch... Can we now please return to the topic and @Mullardman 's ans @Arkless Electronics' excellent basic information about mycology. Thank you.

@DimitryZ : You are taking the piss, and it's not the first time. At first I thought that your post was intended for some other thread... Can we now please return to the topic and @Mullardman 's excellent basic information about mycology. Thank you.
Yes, I am expressing my opinion about anti-semitism and general cluelessness of people in majority religions or races how a minority feels about their arrogance and thoughtlessness.

And I am not going to have you lecture me on appropriateness of polite conversation. As most Jewish families, my was cut in half during WW2.

I politely suggested Wood Ear, a recognized alternative, and got a face full from someone who thinks his rights are curtailed if he can't use a racial insult.

Get a clue, limberger.

Well I thought I'd heard all the tales about Fly Agaric but the boiling in salt water is a new one on me... and I strongly suspect it's wrong! Boiling in milk is alleged to help remove "toxins" as is drying them out for months... I tried both and can't say they had any notable effect on the erm effect.... Interesting "trip", VERY different to acid or magic mushrooms (Psilocybe Semilanceata AKA Liberty Cap) which are very similar.

I thought this was thread about Fungi the dolphin who lived in Dingle Bay. We think he might have gone on a sea trip to Dover to watch the fun over the coming months.

Question to @Arkless Electronics and @Mullardman : I would like to go collect mushrooms today an tomorrow (lepiota mainly) but will not be able to cook them this week. Can I put them in the freezer ?

I've not tried it myself and have always had them fresh but I've heard that they are better cooked before freezing. I guess if you are using them mainly for the flavour and don't care if they turn into a bit of a mush... room to try..

VERY unlikely to freeze well - I have seen them frozen (cultivated ones), though very rarely, but strongly suspect that dried mushrooms are freely available for a reason.

I'd not bank on cooking them being a huge aid to freezing them successfully.

That said, just check Google.

Commercial freezing of anything is typically done very quickly - straight down to -40 or so in a minute or two - to prevent large ice crystals forming. As this is pretty much impossible to do at home, it is more usual to freeze whatever you wish to store after some sort of preparation (full or part-cooking, blanching, etc.) so it doesn't matter that it takes longer as the physical structure of the food has already changed.

I found a large crop of field mushrooms this morning whilst out with the dogs & picked a good few. But most were maggot-infested and some were yellow stainers... Wasn't worth bothering with in the end. Here's a photo of the ash stump in our front garden, and it's colourful collection of fungi.

nSlGZNt.jpg

advertisement

Back