Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Fully built two way floor standers

Discussion in 'd.i.y. classifieds' started by Adam N, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Up for sale is a recently completed project. Using the HiVi isodynamic (ribbon) tweeters and Seas Er18rnx prestige 6.5" bass drivers. Crossovers use high quality capacitors and air core inductors. Based loosely on the Zaph SR71 and Starling designs.

CNC machined metal feet each about 7kg, and with grub screws at the back so you can adjust the angle the speakers incline. Designed for a listening position of approximately 2m ~ 2.5m and elevation of 1m.

Cabinets are CNC valchromat and white melamine faced plywood baffles, assembled and finished. Cabinets are ported and produce prodigious amounts of bass. If you like ribbon tweeters you will probably like the balance of detail and resolution these give without being too analytical.

21cm wide
    18cm deep
    76cm high

Amplification: 25 W – 100 W per channel
    Long term power handling: 80 W
    Sensitivity: 85 dB
    Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

More than the sum of its parts and near double the cost to make as I'm asking. Too many projects mean these have to go.

Price is firm £575 collected Oxfordshire

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020
  2. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Those are very smart, that Valchromat is very nice.

Adam N likes this.
  3. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Would consider a trade for a Naim NAP 200

4. szczemirek

szczemirek Mirek

They are looking brilliant.

Adam N likes this.
  5. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Those are some of the nicest looking modern speakers that I have seen. Fantastic work.

When I saw the papyrus cones I thought you had used Sartori drivers. I've got some in my Sonabs at the moment, bloody lovely.

GLWS

6. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Thank you that's really very kind! The Satori are amazing drivers but these Seas ERNX ones are pretty damn good too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  7. Lokidtc99

Lokidtc99 What does this button do...?

Do you have pictures?

8. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

They were in the original post but Google image links seem to break. Try these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

booja30 likes this.
  9. fegs

fegs pfm Member

They look absolutely stunning!

I'm not in the market for speakers but if I were .......

Adam N likes this.
  10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Adam, what caps and resistors have you used in the crossovers and where are the cab vents/ ports? Hopefully not out the bottom (floating wood floor)

thanks

11. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Hi Dan

Ports are rear facing behind the tweeter. Caps are MKT Polyester Film and MOX resistors. Air core inductors.

You can access the crossover if you remove the drivers and experiment with values as I have.

12. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Interesting that you put the port so high up. Can you post a pic of the rear face

Any details on the internal design? baffles/ bracing etc. Is this a 'live cab' design - looks like it sort of is

13. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "live cab design". The corners are braced, the panels are Valchromat and front baffle birch ply so a lot stiffer than conventional MDF. Dacron stuffing up to just below to rear port.

[​IMG]

14. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

SEAS make nice drivers, very pleased with my Odin 3 speakers.

Adam N likes this.
  15. Lokidtc99

Lokidtc99 What does this button do...?

Ooh, they look lovely! Have you ever heard Neat's Elites (the originals without bulleted woofer, and with ribbon tweeter)? If so, how would you characterise these in comparison?

16. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

No I haven't heard those. If you liked dabbling you can alter the tweeters response by swapping the resistors on the crossover so you could tailor the sound. I've inverted them to get a better match to the mid bass. I'm not sure what I'd liken them to from a commercial speaker. Maybe the Monitor Audio studio series because of the tight bass and detail in the tweeters?

17. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

I meant a speaker cabinet design that uses the response/ resonances of the enclosure rather than one which sets out to make the cab as inert as possible. Snell J vs Avalon sort of thing.
    ie Avalons are made from angled, faceted + braced 3.5" thick birch ply and the Snells are pretty much a pair of drivers bolted into an acoustic guitar.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  18. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

19. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member

Here are a few quick photos for size comparison. Next to it on the right is my latest project which is the same size as the Royd Minstrel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

orangeart likes this.
  20. Adam N

Adam N pfm Member