advertisement

Fully Balanced Pre-Amp? Recs?

schneller

pfm Member
Does anyone have recommendations for a fully balanced pre-amp? With balanced (XLR) inputs and outputs? Does anything good exist that doesn't cost NAIM prices? Thanks.

Relatively affordable second hand - MFA Classic (2 xlr in 1 out plus conversion on the RCA ins)

More sustantially priced - Aesthetix Calypso (5 xlr in 2 out)

I have both and use the Aesthetix for its greater adjustability (and sq). The MFA is great for the price but lacks a little adjustability at 2am but if you only listen at moderate to loud levels you may never need anything more.

Discontinued Linn Klimax control would be my pick if budget was tight - can be had used for peanuts given the performance (Linn power amps are ordinary). Any of the ARC Ref pres are good but I’d look for an LS5 - may take a little finding. A used Ayer KX-R would be good too and will also see off a 552 (which was ordinary at £10k but at its current inflated price is just silly). Lots of options but these are the ones I know - you are right to insist on balanced but try to ensure you’re getting a fully differential device and not a few chips.

I took a gamble in buying an Abrahamsen V3.0 up online. Easily bettered my previous Pardo, Naim, Avondale pre amps at a (me thinks) silly price. Balanced out for poweramp(s) and balanced CD in.

Lyngdorf has both as well as coax and optical digital inputs.

Might be some about 2nd hand but i'll be keeping mine til it dies.

bd audio is seling their grandinote preomio pre amp , I had this on demo this year and its very very good indeed. only reason I did not buy one is it does not have htb and its black !!!

advertisement

Back