advertisement

Full range speakers

Amplification would help.

I'd recommend Shahinian Obelisks or Arcs but if you are using valves or low powered amps that's a complete non starter.

I’d suggest ATC 50s - but spec only 25Hz at -6db

100s do 22Hz (again -6db), but they’re probably too big for the room.

@Darren L, you really need to tell us more; amps, musical tastes, preferred listening volume and speaker siting restrictions as a minimum.

Thanks for the replies, I did try Shahinian Compass speakers and though they did some things very well they weren't for me, current amps are Michell Alecto MK2 monos recently serviced and upgraded to 250w by Graham Fowler of Trichord research, so no problem driving speakers, pre amp is a Copland CTA 301 valve pre (on board valve MM stage) preferred listening volume moderate to loud, no real restrictions on speaking siting.

There are many full range speakers that will go down to 20HZ, but the quality in the lower registers can be pants. I’ve always found a really good speaker that goes only to c.30hz sounds better (doesn’t excite room/boom etc), if you really want bass below this a high quality and well integrated sub/s is by far the better option. IME speakers that do 20HZ bass REALLY well you’re looking at £50k plus...
Just IME of course...

There are many full range speakers that will go down to 20HZ, but the quality in the lower registers can be pants. I’ve always found a really good speaker that goes only to c.30hz sounds better (doesn’t excite room/boom etc), if you really want bass below this a high quality and well integrated sub/s is by far the better option. IME speakers that do 20HZ bass REALLY well you’re looking at £50k plus...
Just IME of course...
IME a conventional box speaker that extends to the room's modal frequencies WILL excite these frequencies.

e.g. take two conventional box speakers of similar designs, one that is flat to 30Hz and one that is flat to 20Hz. The flat to 30Hz speaker will excite room modes above 30Hz just as much as the flat to 20Hz speaker.

The OP hasn't provided the height dimension of his room, but his length and width axial modes are 34Hz and 42Hz.

8c’s in a fairly small room, flat from 20. Obvious where the room interaction starts. Some work has been done improving it, but need to spend a bit more time integrating the 2 additional subs yet

Thanks for the replies, I did try Shahinian Compass speakers and though they did some things very well they weren't for me, current amps are Michell Alecto MK2 monos recently serviced and upgraded to 250w by Graham Fowler of Trichord research, so no problem driving speakers, pre amp is a Copland CTA 301 valve pre (on board valve MM stage) preferred listening volume moderate to loud, no real restrictions on speaking siting.

Going back to my ATC 50 recommendation, I’d recommend an audition if you have the budget. My only reservation with them is that they only come fully on song at moderate to loud - so you’re good there!

I’d also say go for the active version - but that means letting the Alectos go.

All assuming that the last few Hz are not an issue for you.

I had a pair in a room that was ultimately a little small (13’6 by 10’), so moved them on. I now have a 17’ by 13’ room and would love a pair!

Are you going to use the two subs destructively?
Keith

Yes, that’s what they’re set to atm, and why the above 40 output and where my room modes are are lower than the 20hz level, so maybe being a bit too destructive, going to manually set some of the subs parameters and rerun some more sims

Tom Evans designed the Alectos so it may be worth giving him a call and see what he recommends, he's a really nice guy and will happily natter away about music and hifi kit.

Yes, that’s what they’re set to atm, and why the above 40 output and where my room modes are are lower than the 20hz level, so maybe being a bit too destructive, going to manually set some of the subs parameters and rerun some more sims
The output below 40Hz is super flat, would you Pm me details of your set-up rather than disrupting the thread?
Keith

IME a conventional box speaker that extends to the room's modal frequencies WILL excite these frequencies.

e.g. take two conventional box speakers of similar designs, one that is flat to 30Hz and one that is flat to 20Hz. The flat to 30Hz speaker will excite room modes above 30Hz just as much as the flat to 20Hz speaker.

The OP hasn't provided the height dimension of his room, but his length and width axial modes are 34Hz and 42Hz.

The height of the room is 8ft, the length and width axial modes being 34Hz and 42Hz , what exactly does that mean in lay mans terms please.

The height of the room is 8ft, the length and width axial modes being 34Hz and 42Hz , what exactly does that mean in lay mans terms please.
It just means that you might experience a build up of excess energy around those frequencies and multiples of those frequencies, measuring your room would show you the exact extent of the issue, you can easily cure ‘boom’ with just a touch ofEQ, ie reducing a bass peak by the requisite dB reduction.
Keith

advertisement

Back