advertisement

Full range speakers

Darren L

Egalitarian
Recommendations please for full range speakers that will work in a 13 1/2 ft X 16 1/2 ft room.

Are you looking for something bang up-to date or are you interested in vintage speakers?

Do you have a budget in mind?

And how full-range do you need? My MG12 get comfortably down to 30hz in-room, and that’s plenty for me - but maybe you want flat to 20??

Well your room is certainly large enough to accommodate some classic Tannoys. They are end-game speakers for many people. Some time and care needs to be taken to get a good pair, and they cost more than they used to, but still represent excellent value for the sound they produce.

OTOH, the Legacy versions are available fuss-free if you have the budget.

Well your room is certainly large enough to accommodate some classic Tannoys. They are end-game speakers for many people. Some time and care needs to be taken to get a good pair, and they cost more than they used to, but still represent excellent value for the sound they produce.

OTOH, the Legacy versions are available fuss-free if you have the budget.

Yes I've been looking at Tannoy Legacy speakers.

How about second hand Kudos Titan T88s?
I have them in a larger room with Naim sources and amps- love them
I would consider them full range. They are not that large but they need some space behind them.
Not sure how often they come up second hand, however
David

In a similar sized room the Audio Note Es work really well for me - especially as it's a lounge and you can stick them in the corners (out the way).

If starting again with good budget I'd also try some of the larger Tannoys too.

I am sure bonzo will be along shortly , he has been all over the world looking at full range speakers so has a wealth of knowledge

Aren't all speakers, large ones at least, full range? What's the distinction being drawn?

Perhaps, but not all large speakers will work well in a room 13 1/2ft x 16 1/2ft, of course they will 'work' but a lot of large speakers require large rooms

I think that you misunderstand what I'm asking, sorry. I'm asking "how are we defining a "full range" speaker here, and what speakers by implication are not "full range"?

OK, so we're saying speakers that remain pretty flat to say 30 Hz? I'll go with that. I'm not sure that Klipsch would, but there you are.

Recommendations please for full range speakers that will work in a 13 1/2 ft X 16 1/2 ft room.

Amplification would help.

I'd recommend Shahinian Obelisks or Arcs but if you are using valves or low powered amps that's a complete non starter.

Perhaps, but not all large speakers will work well in a room 13 1/2ft x 16 1/2ft, of course they will 'work' but a lot of large speakers require large rooms
‘Full-range’ is 20Hz to 20kHz, low bass extension may ( almost certainly will) excite room modes, ‘boomy’ bass , you need a mechanism that will deal with those issues, some contemporary loudspeakers have that capability built in.
Keith

In a similar sized room the Audio Note Es work really well for me - especially as it's a lounge and you can stick them in the corners (out the way).

If starting again with good budget I'd also try some of the larger Tannoys too.

There is an interesting and quite lengthy thread either here or on AOS about the relative merits of large Tannoys and the AN-E, I’ll see if I can dig it out.

I also think it would be worth checking out Devore. They have full range slim floor standers and very close to full range wide baffle two-ways. All very well reviewed.

‘Full-range’ is 20Hz to 20kHz, low bass extension may ( almost certainly will) excite room modes, ‘boomy’ bass , you need a mechanism that will deal with those issues, some contemporary loudspeakers have that capability built in.
Keith
I don't know many speakers that will do 20-20k within 3dB in one box, do you? It's a tall order.

I’d suggest ATC 50s - but spec only 25Hz at -6db

100s do 22Hz (again -6db), but they’re probably too big for the room.

@Darren L, you really need to tell us more; amps, musical tastes, preferred listening volume and speaker siting restrictions as a minimum.

advertisement

Back