advertisement

Full frame goodness

saturn9

pfm Member
Just mulling over buying a new camera and I'm curious to know if anyone has bought a ff mirrorless and then regretted it? I'm not expecting miracles but it feels like the right thing in terms of size etc.

Cheers.

Check whether the lenses you want are available. I think the nikon and canon offerings look a little immature at the moment, but imply that they are taking this seriously so things are quite interesting. If you must have one today, I would have thought Sony is the place to look, but in a year or two, the other options will be very much more tempting.

Agree with this, I like the ergonomics of the z6 but as you say the lens offering is rather weak. I'm not sure whether ti stick or twist.

I moved from full frame DSLR (Canon 5D) to Fuji cropped frame, and never looked back. There is nothing inherently 'better' about a 24mm x 36mm sensor - though most of them are stunningly good, whereas smaller sensors range from stunningly good down to, not-very. I'd probably be reluctant to go as far as Micro 4:3 though I have seen some stunning images from Olympus and Panasonic cameras so my reasoning is far from rational. The Sony FF cameras are appealing, until I start using them, the ergonomics doesn't suit me. The Nikon Z is remarkably big. I'm sticking with Fuji for now as their prime lenses are absolutely stunning and the results I get are plenty good enough for huge exhibition prints when I need them. Ultimately, sensor size isn't the issue. Quality of sensor and especially lens is, and after a while, handling has just got to be right.

I'd agree. The handling is very important and I keep reminding myself, now that I have an X-T2, that whilst there is a certain look to full frame, medium format is another thing altogether. You could go on and on. Sony's are too sterile for me. I like having the space for both the Fuji and a 35mm film camera in my bag.

The new Canon RP is £1,000 less than the R, and is better in most ways, so I’ve heard.

I’m hoping wear my 5D3 out before jumping to mirrorless, just can’t justify the expense right now, and better cameras will be out every six months or so for a while.

I bought a grey market EOS R for £1650 to take to South Africa last month, purely out of interest and to see what the fuss was about.

IQ was excellent, ergonomics a mixed bag. The 600 plus page manual needed further scrutiny to get the best out of it....

I used EF lenses, not the new RF ones which are truly outstanding, according to many reports.

Unfortunately, mine had a major wobble towards the end of the hols but the dealer replaced it when back. That is the first ever Canon failure experienced by me in decades.

Sold it when back and didn't lose anything but I will stick to 5DIV/ 1DX2 for the foreseeable future.

That RP looks outstanding for the dosh but I couldn't live with the slow frame rate on continuous AF.

Where FF really comes into it's own though is with high ISO. M4/3 and EF-S can't come close.

Where FF really comes into it's own though is with high ISO. M4/3 and EF-S can't come close.

My FF Pentax K1 really slaughters my M4/3 and APS-C stuff on higher ISO's.

I went FF a few months back but didn't consider mirrorless - partly because Pentax don't do one (and I wanted to be able to use the 50+ K-mount lenses I've built up over the last 25 years or so) and partly because I'm not that big a fan of mirrorless, based on my experiences with the M4/3 mirrorless camera I have.

The RP Canon does look appealing but under the hood (ie its sensor) it's a 6D Mk2 which by all accounts isn't as good as the Mk1 which was superb. Before going for my A7RIII (from the RII) I had a brief play with an EOS-R and Z6 in the shop. Despite being a Nikon nut in my film days, I shot digital Canon for quite a few years and always liked their ergos but just didn't feel comfy with the EOS-R. Hoped it would feel like a mirrorless 7D (my last Canon DSLR) but sadly not. You can put money on Canon getting it right though, and soon.

The Z6 felt superb and has that 'comfy slippers' feeling I get when picking up a Nikon. In the end though I went for the A7RIII. Whilst it's not the easiest camera to love, it's akin to riding a big Honda motorcycle. It all seems rather dull, lacking character to start with, but after a while it just 'clicks' (sorry!) and gets out of the way. I fully understand (and agree with) those folk who briefly pick up a Sony and go 'eergh' though. It just took me time...and that 42MP sensor is just incredible. Completely OTT of course. :D

I am looking for my next camera too.

I have owned M4/3 in the past and whilst I loved the size and form factor I always felt that they were let down by the sensor.

I have narrowed down my search to either an A7Rii with a cheapish zoom or prime to start off with or the A7ii with the 24/70 f4. I keep being drawn though to the monster sensor in the Rii.

Looking at Fuji too but I had the XPro2 years ago which was a nice camera if you liked shooting JPEG and not RAW. The RAW files were harder to manipulate than the Nikon one's I had been used to.

I've not had problems with the RAW files from my Fujis, and love the feel of the cameras.

To be fair, it depends on which raw converter is being used to process the Fuji RAF files. I still don't like what Lightroom (LR6.14 in my case) does to the files, but with Capture One the difference is huge and is now my 'go to' for processing Fuji raws. Frustrating, as LR is certainly easier to use.

To be fair, it depends on which raw converter is being used to process the Fuji RAF files. I still don't like what Lightroom (LR6.14 in my case) does to the files, but with Capture One the difference is huge and is now my 'go to' for processing Fuji raws. Frustrating, as LR is certainly easier to use.

I have tried Capture One a few times and found it less than user friendly.

I have tried Capture One a few times and found it less than user friendly.

I'll admit that its UI had me scratching my head somewhat to start with, but watching the C1 tutorials on YouTube finally got me going. Whilst it's not quite as intuitive as LR, I've found the results make it worthwhile. I now use the Sessions option each time, and treat each one as a themed folder.

If I was to buy a new camera today it would be a Canon 5D IV. In eighteen months it would be the Canon 5R or whatever they call it.

But I buy into camera systems and not just the body.

But I buy into camera systems and not just the body.

This is very true, I would look at the range of available glass (and include its affordability in the man maths equations), and then select a system that best suited my needs. Many of the mirrorless systems don't offer huge ranges of native glass (especially at the telephoto end), and some don't perform as well with adapted glass.

I was in John Lewis this morning, and they had a Canon EOS R on display, tethered to the counter. It looked nice from the front, but as soon as I picked it up, yuck. Too small for my hands and fingers, too fiddly.

Hmm. Mirrorless medium format? ;)

Someone in the club has a Canon 100 and that feels tiny.

I have been putting off buying a 50mm L for a long time suspecting that there would be a new one. And of course it is RF mount. It will be the updated lenses that persuade me.

One of the things I liked when going to the FF Pentax K1 from years of using APS-C cameras is that it's a big bigger and I find that nicer from a handling point of view.

advertisement

Back