advertisement

Fuji XT sticky dial hack

JemHayward

pfm Member
When I bought my XT-1 I had an issue with the ISO dial binding on the mode dial and re-setting the mode by accident. I sent it back to Fuji under warranty and they fixed it, but over time the issue came back to a degree. Recently the shutter speed dial started to bind, and now the camera is way out of warranty, I looked to the internet for a fix. Lots of scary videos of opening up the camera and dire warnings about damaging the fine ribbon cables put me off dismantling it. I posted on the Fuji X forums and someone came back with the very simple idea of using dental floss to clean between the dials, so I went to the dentist, spent £3 on some floss (I went for Colgate, rather than the minty version) and gave it a go.

It worked perfectly - all the dials are now silky smooth and no binding at all.

When I bought my XT-1 I had an issue with the ISO dial binding on the mode dial and re-setting the mode by accident. I sent it back to Fuji under warranty and they fixed it, but over time the issue came back to a degree. Recently the shutter speed dial started to bind, and now the camera is way out of warranty, I looked to the internet for a fix. Lots of scary videos of opening up the camera and dire warnings about damaging the fine ribbon cables put me off dismantling it. I posted on the Fuji X forums and someone came back with the very simple idea of using dental floss to clean between the dials, so I went to the dentist, spent £3 on some floss (I went for Colgate, rather than the minty version) and gave it a go.

It worked perfectly - all the dials are now silky smooth and no binding at all.

Useful info Jem. My XT-1 suffered the same fault. Many times after changing the ISO I'd accidentally take a panorama or something. Very annoying. I just assumed it was a design fault rather than something fixable. I shall keep your tip in mind should my current XT-2 go the same way, although it now has a lock on the ISO dial. An admission that something was wrong perhaps.

advertisement

Back