advertisement

Fuji x10 x20

roman

pfm Member
Just splitting off from the x100 thread for users of the x10 and x20.

I'm only just getting into my x20 and have followed some advice and bought the x10 leather case and a spare battery. I'm glad I did because the battery gets drained really fast. A bit surprising given the user provides the zoom power and the lcd can be turned off.

I've run into a problem that looks like a fault with the camera and I thought I'd run it past here before taking it up with fuji in case its just me.

I'm trying to set up C2 mode to black and white with auti iso limited to 100-800, however whenever I turn off camera and then return to C2 mode the iso reverts to 3200. Any ideas?

when you have set the iso in c2 mode scroll through to the end of the custom set up screen and do custom set set ok.( if its like the x 10!)

when you have set the iso in c2 mode scroll through to the end of the custom set up screen and do custom set set ok.( if its like the x 10!)

It works! Thank you!!

I was just gearing up to the dreary prospect of returning camera, writing emails to fuji etc

good! I have had the x 10 for 18 months or so great little camera. sure you will love the x 20 when you get to know it!

The default setting work well, although, in some cases such as bright sunlight falling on my jet black Nait shoebox unseen dust bursts into view;)

I am attempting to see what happens by using JPG output and being a bit of freetard will use the likes of Digikam and other offerings available to Ubuntu as and when I feel the need.

The covers / latches for the battery / memory card compartment along with that covering the usb port to my eyes seem and feel rather flimsy but only when compared to my venerable, rather solid OM2n.

All in all a rather good purchase.

FujiFilm battery NP-50 sourced from BT Shop arrived today. Looks right when comparing it to one that came with camera, price about right and have now placed it on charge. I'll let you know if in the future the performance differs markedly between batteries.

I picked up a cheap ABC Products NP-50 battery from Amazon - it lasts about half as long as the Fuji that came with the camera. That'll teach me for being a cheapskate but it's ok as a keep in pocket spare just in case the charge dies half way through a day out.

I tend to use my x10 as either an exclusive B&W - red filter, low ISO, Aperture priority or with the C1 setting I pasted in the "mother" X100 thread
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9060476058/fuji-x10-exr-camera-suggestions-for-optimum-performance
It does also work pretty well as a point and shoot - I use this when my little kids want to play with it and they get some pretty good shots - often, of course, even better than I manage.

Kevin

I bought an Ex-Pro NP-50 Fuji battery online. It cost £5.97 (incl. VAT). It comes with a warranty and a comprehensive leaflet.

It has a cosmetic fault; the middle area is slightly squashed in. This does not affect performance. I surmise that it has been produced by a high quality supplier and flogged off as ‘seconds’.

In use it is identical with the Fuji battery that came with the new camera (X10). I have used it in rotation with the original and another for 3 months. I am confident that it will last.

Email: [email protected]
Product ref: B1228 Battery FNP50
Free delivery. They do many other items.

Gordy strap arrived today, feel less self-conscious with camera on wrist rather than around the neck. Not used to taking photos in public place and feel a bit out of place, may take a bit of getting used to. Didn't feel like this when roaming about with OM2n, 135 f2.8 and power winder on wrist strap. Would I feel better with 5*4 Press camera of old?

Thought I have been given a faulty bit of kit as the monitor would black out for what seemed no reason at all, after some investigation I concluded that it was due to the eye sensor beside the viewfinder window springing into life and blanking the screen. This I put down to being unfamiliar with the controls and a bit short sighted so I'd bring the camera close up to my left eye to read instructions or to see what I was doing and this triggered the blanking of the screen. That eye sensor sure has a hair trigger!

Am well impressed with the macro facility and the speed of the auto focus also pleased with the resulting jpgs.

I've had an X20 for a week now and really like it.
Nothing wrong with the previous Oly XZ-1 other then I really like a decent optical viewfinder and while the clip on EVF for the Oly was pretty good, it's something else to carry and bulks-up the camera considerably. So for the first time in 30 years I've abandoned Olympus for Fuji. I just need to get used to that green thing....

I got a nice deal on the x10 accessory kit which includes a really nice 2 part leather case, hood and filter. Cameraworld off Oxford Street were great and included the case kit for half price, since while it was introduced for the X10 it all works perfectly on the 20.

I picked up two cheap batteries from eBay and gave one a try yesterday evening. I thought I'd try some proper street photography last night so popped the X20 into silent mode (which also kills all illuminations) and sidled up to various interesting characters along the south bank to take what I thought would be some nice shots. Unfortunately the battery was good for about 1 hour and 30 shots, and when it died suddenly it left me with a corrupted SD card.

Stick with genuine batteries.

Thought I have been given a faulty bit of kit as the monitor would black out for what seemed no reason at all, after some investigation I concluded that it was due to the eye sensor beside the viewfinder window springing into life and blanking the screen. This I put down to being unfamiliar with the controls and a bit short sighted so I'd bring the camera close up to my left eye to read instructions or to see what I was doing and this triggered the blanking of the screen. That eye sensor sure has a hair trigger!

Am well impressed with the macro facility and the speed of the auto focus also pleased with the resulting jpgs.

The sensor blacking out the LCD is handy if you use the neck strap. The sensor detects your shirt and blanks the screen which should help battery life when out and about.

Robert,
The sensor blacking out the LCD is handy if you use the neck strap. The sensor detects your shirt and blanks the screen which should help battery life when out and about.
Just a thought, but when you have your camera hanging from you and running in silent mode had you thought of using a cable release held in hand or in pocket to trigger photographs? It may well be that a shot from belly button level could cover most of what you wish to capture without drawing attention to your motives as you do not have to bring your kit up to eye level prior to shooting.

I realise you may have to do a bit of cropping to remove swathes of pavement but you might still get a few useful images.

Good idea I'll pick one up.

The sensor on the x20 produces nice clean images up to iso 400 so can stand some cropping. Even when you push the iSO the grain is quit pleasing especially if you convert to B&W.

Am off up town in a couple of days to meet friend with a view to them fondling or even purchasing some kit http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139338 and will take the opportunity to have a day out wandering about with my new toy. I am considering shooting RAW with the idea of using the in camera engine to, for want of a better word develop the images once home. I have an additional fully charged battery and an extra memory card so I think I have all bases covered but what else should I consider?

advertisement

Back