advertisement

Fuji X-E3 first images

I spent many happy years with my Contax RX and agree that nothing available today has the combination of ergonomics and viewfinder. Not seen a modern OVF that comes even close, and I now 'prefer' EVF.
Sold my RX before it lost all its value, but still have the 50mm and 135mm lenses and use them regularly, though the Fuji 35 and 90 are technically better. I never had a problem with manual focus, and I've taken more blurry pictures with autofocus than I ever did when manual was the only option.

Sounds like you've solved it but I do remember seeing a blog post somewhere where a guy reckoned the xe3 had some kind of additional sharpening applied over and above the other Fuji cameras with the same internals that could cause artifacts in some situations. I'd be interested to know as I'm considering adding an Xe3 (currently have an x100F as my only camera)

I've got my X-E3 with me today so I've taken two shots in my office. The background image is JPG with sharpening set to minimum -3, and the inset bottom right is at the default of 0. In the default you can see that it has been sharpened, the -3 looks perfectly sharp enough for me. Shot at 1600 ISO, hand held 1/250s and 1/240s f 2.8 using the 27mm pancake. These are 'actual pixels' 100% and have been re-saved as JPG in Photoshop CS2 to save the composite so may have some compression artefacts
I think the default is ok, but I think I'll shoot at -3 and sharpen in software if I ever use the jpg (rarely do) for a finished print.

xe3sharpening by Jem Hayward, on Flickr

I think the default is ok, but I think I'll shoot at -3 and sharpen in software if I ever use the jpg (rarely do) for a finished print.

Jem, have you tried the free version of Capture One for Fuji cameras? There are free versions for Fuji and Sony.

It's a complex application but pretty useful. Very different to Adobe software but the RAW conversion quality is sound.

I am getting stuck into the 30 day trial version of Capture One for my Fuji raw files. Its a big adjustment from Lightroom but I think I could get used to it.

Jem, have you tried the free version of Capture One for Fuji cameras?

Yes, I have Capture One Fuji, Iridient Developer and Lightroom Classic. I tend to use Lightroom most of the time, as it's also my cataloguing system, and once sucked into the Adobe workflow (and the Adobe monthly payments) it's difficult to escape. The odd 'difficult' image ends up in Iridient, which can sometimes do a better job than Lightroom. I've played with Capture One, but not really got going with it. I don't have as much time to dedicate to photography as I would like, but health permitting, I will later this year as I plan to semi-retire and set up a photography mentoring business, so photography will be my main focus (pun!).

I understand what you mean. Using Camera Raw was a hard habit for me to break, but I went over to Capture One rather than Lightroom. I'm still learning very basic things with it, such as how to adjust the hue of individual colours - you can do it, but it is not the same as using the HSL sliders in Adobe software.

I also use RawTherapee, but that is definitely a 'deep dive'! It is useful for processing RAW files from my old Canon S60 and S70 compact cameras, with good results. To my surprise RawTherapee can correct lens distortion on these cameras.

Hope the mentoring goes well!

Just as heads up (and I hope it doesn't upset any recent purchasers), the Fuji refurb store has X-E3 at a mere £299 (and the X-T20), which is a lot of camera for not a lot of brass!

I got mine from Fuji refurb (and I'm sure it's unused), but paid £400 8-(

Can't really think of a reason for a third body, but soon it may be viable to get a body for each of my lovely Fuji prime lenses!

advertisement

Back