Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Friday Fun Favourite Bass Players

Discussion in 'music' started by fegs, Oct 16, 2020.

1. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Paul, yes I should have added he is still performing although I haven't actually seen him play for years. The chance to see him solo would have been good. I did catch him on one occasion each with both Rollins and Kirk at Ronnie Scott's Many years back.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  2. mik_rik

mik_rik pfm Member

Glenn Cornick

Andy Fraser

3. bencat

bencat pfm Member

Agree with many of these but if you want to go for influence then it becomes a little bit more difficult for me James Jameson as he is on so many Motown and other R&B singles of the time and his playing is so fluid and lyrical . Lastly someone not mentioned i think but responsible for a complete style of music (Lovers Rock ) Dennis Bovell he was a pretty good singer too . I went to see Dennis quite a few years ago at the Manchester venue Band on the Wall not only was he brilliant but the man played the entire set in a pair of tartan slippers that i remember my Dad wearing , really too cool for school .

vince rocker likes this.
  4. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

I still have and will keep forever my IMF Super Compact 1. Woofer is original but I replaced the midrange driver for a polypropylene Peerless and the tweeter for a Morel MDT 29. Also refurbished the crossover and wires and they sound great. Not as accurate as some Audio Physics but very musical and enjoyable. They surprisingly go down to 30 Hz with ease but soundstage is not their cup of tea........
    I use them to test equipment or bring back some old souvenirs from the time my hair was very long...........

5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

How come I forgot about Mark King ??? :eek:

6. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I asked my mate Adrian, who plays guitar in a semi-pro band, for his list:

Jack Bruce
    Pino Palandio
    Leyland Skar

7. jon l

jon l pfm Member

Kim Clarke

Seeker_UK likes this.
  8. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Another for my list: Jean-Jacques Burnel

fegs likes this.
  9. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Colin Moulding
    Derek Forbes
    Les Pattinson

10. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

Jaco Pastorius.

11. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Just noticed that no one has mentioned the great Henry Grimes yet who sadly died of Covid related illness this year. I love his work on albums by Don Cherry, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor etc.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  12. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I was introduced to Henry as a free player when he started performing again - so it was something of a surprise when I then started noticing his name on so many great LPs from the sixties by Sonny Rollins, Mose Allison, Roy Haynes etc.

I saw him play a couple of times but remember especially a duet with Bobby Few. I'm not sure if they'd played together before but the music was gorgeous and seemed to be effortless for them both - I was blown away.

Thinking about Henry reminds me that I don't think anyone has yet nominated the great William Parker who was instrumental in his resurgence.

poco a poco likes this.
  13. worz

worz pfm Member

Pino palladino very distintive sound played on paul youngs debut album

14. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

Geddy lee especially with his Wal bass in hand
    Mick Karn
    Jaco pastorius
    Tony Levin
    Jeff Berlin
    Bernard Edwards