advertisement

Friday Fun Favourite Bass Players

Excellent choice. I've seen Dave play with Barry Harris numerous times and always a joy. He played a solo set at Jazz In The Round last year - his first public solo performance at the age of 77.
Paul, yes I should have added he is still performing although I haven't actually seen him play for years. The chance to see him solo would have been good. I did catch him on one occasion each with both Rollins and Kirk at Ronnie Scott's Many years back.

Agree with many of these but if you want to go for influence then it becomes a little bit more difficult for me James Jameson as he is on so many Motown and other R&B singles of the time and his playing is so fluid and lyrical . Lastly someone not mentioned i think but responsible for a complete style of music (Lovers Rock ) Dennis Bovell he was a pretty good singer too . I went to see Dennis quite a few years ago at the Manchester venue Band on the Wall not only was he brilliant but the man played the entire set in a pair of tartan slippers that i remember my Dad wearing , really too cool for school .

I have a set of original 15's, not XR, which someone has painted black all over.. not that badly but not exactly professionally shall we say... (can't remember how/where I got them). I've never actually tried them and have removed the HF1300's for safe keeping. I'm pretty sure all drive units measured as correct resistance and the woofers were moving freely when pushed by fingers as were the ABR's when I checked. HF1300's measure correct resistance also but I don;t know if they are A1 or not. Seeing they were £55 in 1973 in an old hi fi mag I was reading the other day, and that this was about £620 in todays money, combined with happy memories of the 15XR's, has made me consider reuniting them with their tweeters, replacing the electrolytics, and giving them a go. HF1300's don't seem to age really... if they work they work. No doubt will sound shite and ruin my rose tinted memories:rolleyes:

I googled the 15's a few days back and was interested to find that the 15XR's were not just the 15's with the new dome tweeter as I had assumed. They are completely different other than the general concept. 15XR's have slightly larger cabinets, new tweeter obviously but also completely new bass unit which is now pressed steel rather than cast alloy chassis, redesigned ABR and different values in crossover but still 1st order on bass and 2nd order on tweeter, same as Mission 770 FWIW.
I still have and will keep forever my IMF Super Compact 1. Woofer is original but I replaced the midrange driver for a polypropylene Peerless and the tweeter for a Morel MDT 29. Also refurbished the crossover and wires and they sound great. Not as accurate as some Audio Physics but very musical and enjoyable. They surprisingly go down to 30 Hz with ease but soundstage is not their cup of tea........
I use them to test equipment or bring back some old souvenirs from the time my hair was very long...........

I asked my mate Adrian, who plays guitar in a semi-pro band, for his list:

Jack Bruce
Pino Palandio
Leyland Skar

Just noticed that no one has mentioned the great Henry Grimes yet who sadly died of Covid related illness this year. I love his work on albums by Don Cherry, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor etc.

Just noticed that no one has mentioned the great Henry Grimes yet who sadly died of Covid related illness this year. I love his work on albums by Don Cherry, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor etc.

I was introduced to Henry as a free player when he started performing again - so it was something of a surprise when I then started noticing his name on so many great LPs from the sixties by Sonny Rollins, Mose Allison, Roy Haynes etc.

I saw him play a couple of times but remember especially a duet with Bobby Few. I'm not sure if they'd played together before but the music was gorgeous and seemed to be effortless for them both - I was blown away.

Thinking about Henry reminds me that I don't think anyone has yet nominated the great William Parker who was instrumental in his resurgence.

Geddy lee especially with his Wal bass in hand
Mick Karn
Jaco pastorius
Tony Levin
Jeff Berlin
Bernard Edwards
Nick Beggs
Michael Visceglia
Les Claypool
Allan Caron
Percy Jones

Chris Squire
Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash)
John Paul Jones
Jaco Pastorius
John Entwistle

I have been lucky enough to see them all live at one time or another!

So many great ones already mentioned so here are three different ones
Steve Lawson uses loops and effects to create a soundscapes, but also has chops
Antoine Fafard - great fusion player.
Patrick O'Hearn - ex Zappa, some will find him too New Age at times, but I do like to chill every now and again

advertisement

Back