advertisement

Friday Fun Favourite Bass Players

Terrific player. A very individual style and instantly recognisable tone.
Recognizable tone..........
I agree I would say 99%........
First time they played Working man from Rush in the U.S. on a local rock station, people were calling on the phone to get the name of this new album from..........Led Zeppelin !
Not a bad start at all though.

Recognizable tone..........
I agree I would say 99%........
First time they played Working man from Rush in the U.S. on a local rock station, people were calling on the phone to get the name of this new album from..........Led Zeppelin !
Not a bad start at all though.

Recognisable tone to his vocals 'n all! A mate had Spirit of Radio B/W Trees IIRC 12" single... 15-16 years old. Technics SLB2, EPC270C, JVC JAS11G, Celestion Ditton 15XR's... Ah yes...

Mick Karn was my first thought. Cool as.

Forgot about Barry Adamson - love his playing on Correct Use of Soap especially.

In jazz, I don't think anyone's mentioned Steve Swallow (for his exemplary playing in Giuffre's drummerless trio of the 1960s).

Also, has anyone mentioned Chic's Bernard Edwards, creator of the most sampled bassline of all time (for good reason).

Bootsy?

Celestion Ditton 15 : we were listening to Pink Floyd Meddle on these when we were 17 and were stunned by the bass depth and impact ! Nice souvenirs..............

I have a set of original 15's, not XR, which someone has painted black all over.. not that badly but not exactly professionally shall we say... (can't remember how/where I got them). I've never actually tried them and have removed the HF1300's for safe keeping. I'm pretty sure all drive units measured as correct resistance and the woofers were moving freely when pushed by fingers as were the ABR's when I checked. HF1300's measure correct resistance also but I don;t know if they are A1 or not. Seeing they were £55 in 1973 in an old hi fi mag I was reading the other day, and that this was about £620 in todays money, combined with happy memories of the 15XR's, has made me consider reuniting them with their tweeters, replacing the electrolytics, and giving them a go. HF1300's don't seem to age really... if they work they work. No doubt will sound shite and ruin my rose tinted memories:rolleyes:

I googled the 15's a few days back and was interested to find that the 15XR's were not just the 15's with the new dome tweeter as I had assumed. They are completely different other than the general concept. 15XR's have slightly larger cabinets, new tweeter obviously but also completely new bass unit which is now pressed steel rather than cast alloy chassis, redesigned ABR and different values in crossover but still 1st order on bass and 2nd order on tweeter, same as Mission 770 FWIW.

I’m enjoying the Leland Sklar channel on YouTube, he’s played with so many people so has lots of great stories.
Stand out bass players for me must include,

Jon Entwistle
Mark King
Abe Laboriel
Nathan East
John Wetton

I’m sure more will pop into my head later.

James Jamerson
Ken Forssi
Jack Casady
Jack Bruce
Donald “ Duck “ Dunn
Stanley Clarke
Paul McCartney
John Entwistle
John Paul Jones

Regards,

Martin

Another I should obviously have chucked on my list is Michael Henderson for his astonishing work on Miles Davis A Tribute To Jack Johnson and On The Corner. If anyone asked me how I would like to play that is it, just rock solid and in the pocket but without artifice, also some of the best recorded bass guitar I’ve ever head. Just no way to get that sound short of a very well mic’d Ampeg valve stack cranked. If anyone hasn’t heard A Tribute To Jack Johnson go find it immediately. It makes ‘98% of blues-rock obsolete, there is just no need for it once you’ve heard what it could have been!

Although the excellent British Bass player Danny Thompson has been mentioned a few times no one has mentioned Dave Green who has played with most of the great British Jazz musicians from the early sixties onwards and was the choice of American Jazz greats such Ben Webster, Sonny Rollins and Roland Kirk when they performed at Ronnie Scott's.

Although the excellent British Bass player Danny Thompson has been mentioned a few times no one has mentioned Dave Green who has played with most of the great British Jazz musicians from the early sixties onwards and was the choice of American Jazz greats such Ben Webster, Sonny Rollins and Roland Kirk when they performed at Ronnie Scott's.

Excellent choice. I've seen Dave play with Barry Harris numerous times and always a joy. He played a solo set at Jazz In The Round last year - his first public solo performance at the age of 77.

advertisement

Back