advertisement

Free Berlin phil internet access pass

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
The Berliner Philharmoniker and principal conductor Sir Simon Rattle open the new season on August 24 at 7 pm CET with Brahms’s Second Piano Concerto and Witold Lutosławski’s Third Symphony.

You can try it free:
https://www.db.com/en/content/company/dch_mobile_registration.htm

As many of you know I am a big fan of this sort of delivery I think this is the future of live orchestral music and the best bit is if you have an appletv and an iOS device you can stream It in glorious hd video and high quality audio straight to your hifi.

This is what I do anyway.

It's an opportunity to try out what I have been raving about for a couple of years now. It's not the same as being there, sure, but I get to regularly hear live music by a great orchestra and in really good sound quality. It's becoming the new Radio 3 lunchtime broadcasts for me.

Anyway unashamedly enthusiastic. Try it, see what you think.

Thanks for the tip. I was in the Philharmonie last winter and saw all the remote control HD cams around the auditorium. Last time I looked, the fees were quite high for watching...mind you they are the best of the best. It also looks like a great business model for big orchestras and companies who are going to get screwed by public spending cuts and the collapse in classical recording revenues.

It's about 12 quid a month which gets you access to 30 concerts, so three £4 concerts a month and also full access to the archive (130 full concerts there) plus documentaries, analyses, discussions with conductors and players soloists and so on. It's very good value from my pont of view. As an education resource it's going to be huge. As a way of getting access to live music played without a net (classical CDs are often a editing hell made up of snippets from all sorts of different takes) it's second to none. A real sense of the BBC OB Radio 3 concerts but updated to the Internet.

And something the BBC could have done if it had not pared back on its orchestras and pissed millions away on Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton and their kind type instead.

...hd video and high quality audio straight to your hifi.

They wasted bandwidth for HD Video and chose AAC instead. HQ Audio my arse (and it took quite a bit of digging to find out the audio codec -- even though they advertise it as HQ Audio).

Its on plain view in the "Technical Specification" part of the brochure listed on the page http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/fileadmin/pressematerial/DCH/dch_programme_en_2011-12.pdf

H.264 for HiDef video needs more bandwidth than audio as there is more data to shift, hardly wasted and 320Kbps AAC over my rural line is more than sufficient and much better than Radio 3 FM which can be transfixingly good. Strikes me as an excellent and pragmatic balance.
320Kbps sounds very very very close (if not identical) to "lossless CD" rips so its more than fit for purpose.

I do all the time, as I have no FM tuner anymore -- next to 320kbps Spotify and this is my main music source these days. But its not live. The BBC so rarely do live OB anymore, so you are not at the event as it unfolds. Its nearly always prerecorded with other orchestras (now the many BBC ones have been disbanded) and almost never live for lunchtime broadcasts

Anyway its a free trial. Try it and see for yourself. If you like it great.

The BBC so rarely do live OB anymore, so you are not at the event as it unfolds. Its nearly always prerecorded with other orchestras

The lunchtime concert is often live, as is the evening one aren't they? I realise things may be a bit different in the summer because of the live broadcast from the Proms and Edinburgh festival.

I'll have to give the Berlin Phil a go, thanks for the heads up.

Its been prerecorded for many years AFAICT. I may be wrong, I hope so. I still love listening to live (recorded or OB) classical music via Radio 3 on the internet (and berlin Phil) more than I did buying CDs. These people have better/wider taste than me for starters.

Its been prerecorded for many years AFAICT

Radio 3 switched back from pre-recorded evening concerts to live ones a while ago (last year?) - though there may still be some exceptions. When they were pre-recorded most of the concerts were broadcast on the same day, but with a delay - so the broadcast of a 7:30pm concert would begin at 8:00pm. I assume the reasoning was that they could compensate for any overruns by editing the length of time spent at the interval and therefore reduce the effect of any overruns on the later schedule.

Fantastic. Back on my schedule then. Been keeping away from R3 lunchtime while I finished my Degree and got settled. Lunchtime was always my music highlight.

Been keeping away from R3 lunchtime while I finished my Degree and got settled. Lunchtime was always my music highlight.

At the moment they're broadcasting live late morning (11am?) concerts from the Edinburgh festival.

2 x 5000 wüd essays needs finishing by Sept 4th. (one done, one full of crap)

PFM doesn't help ;)

so much for the link.
signed up and am now in a loop of signing up emails but no access to anthing on ipad2. works fine on windoze.

Working fine here. A gentle crowd hubub in the background. Streamed to AppleTV via iPad.

Beer's a chillin. When it starts I'll take a break from essays. Or perhaps sit with the laptop and continue. Ah the modern life.

http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/help

Can I also watch the Digital Concert Hall on my iPad/iPhone/iPod?

Due to the high quality encoding of our content the Digital Concert Hall will work only on the iPad and the iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2 installed. Prior iPhone models or iPods will not work. Live webcasts are not supported at this time. To watch a recording from the concert archive simply log in and select a concert as usual. Concerts can not be downloaded and synced with iTunes.

For this I was using a iPad 3. Which seems to allow live webcasting.

I wasn't too sold on the Brahms, but good to see Simon rattle making sure audiences get out of their comfort zone with the Lutosławski. Never heard aleatoric done on this scale before, lots of Penderecki in that approach to my ears.

advertisement

Back