advertisement

Fraim time !!

Yes, but not only are the bearings replaced with black ceramic ones (also to be found in jet fighter engines), but the ball cups are also replaced with black ceramic types. Then there are upward facing conical devices-also ceramic I think- with hollowed out apices (looking like a volcano with a crater)....you place another set of ceramic bearinga in the 'crater' and then place the bottom of the equipment on those upward facing bearings, bypassing the feet. And...voila! Vive le difference!

Or maybe just not *as* great ehhh?;-)

Interesting observations about the Sonority platform under the XPS2, Ron. Reminds me of my post-Mana days when I was demming new racks. I had just enough Fraim sent by dD to create a stack supporting my CDS mk1 head unit and 102 with an empty shelf between which left my CDPS, HC and 250 on an AF/BASE rack.

Results were quite beyond my expectations, enough so that I had Dave and Chris send me a second three-tier stack to try under the "brawn" stack. I really didn't expect much difference but was shocked again to find the Fraim just as effective under the power supplies and 250.

regards,

dave

i have bought 3 hi level bases for nap500's and then 3 teirs above each for the rest of the system, my idea too was to keep the power supplies all on one rack but ill have to see if the cables reach that far. i can understand why this may make a sonic difference

To clarify

From what I have read above there is a Sonarity product that replaces the glass in the Fraim - looking at the Sonority web site which product is that - and do you replace the ball bearings

Thanks for any info

Further to Ron's comments, there are several options.

You can just replace the bearings and cups underneath the existing shelves. You can then replace the Fraim glass shelf with a standard thickness shelf (about the same as the glass) or an Ultra shelf (rather thicker but will still fit within a standard height level of Fraim). From there you can incorporate the cones that Ron describes and, if you have medium height levels of Fraim, go up to a Roller shelf, which consists of 2 thick shelves and three sets of bearings/cones. As an alternative you can get a set of 3 cones/bearings mounted in individual blocks of the laminate, giving you scope to experiment with them anywhere in your system. Got that? Perhaps best to give Stephen Hitch a call and ask him for a demo.

Steve,

I've found some Naim source or preamp cables touching other objects can affect the sound under certain circumstances -the changes are small but audible and repeatible.

I've yet to hear a Naim component take more than eight days (CDS mk1) to sound its best. Even then, they only take that long on the first couple of power cycles IME. *Most with my experience are at max performance within five days if not less when they are new. All future power cycling seems to bring them up to snuff within 24 hours with the exception of the CDS2 which still takes four days here even though this is a seven year old unit.

YMMV and all...

maniacally yours,

dave

*olive only - I have no experience w/ref gear other than a NAPSC2 which really doesn't count.
Dave, what does YMMV stand for, I have seen it used before?

i have bought 3 hi level bases for nap500's and then 3 teirs above each for the rest of the system, my idea too was to keep the power supplies all on one rack but ill have to see if the cables reach that far. i can understand why this may make a sonic difference

Wow, they really did see you coming, nice work.

Fraim Arrived to day. The nice chap from Acoustica in Chester spent all day assembling it, wiping down my hifi and building it all back up. Made up with the improvment in both the sound and the looks of it all sitting nice on a fraim. Best way i can describe the sonic benefits of the fraim is i think its just enhanced what the 552 done for me. Its just upped the game in all directions. Not a huge difference but none the less its a difference that can be clearly heard straight away.

I have my L300/1.2 sitting upside down on a pile of magazines, newspapers, some old socks and the cats litter. There's a bit of sick on one corner of the preamp as well... can't be arsed to clean it to be honest ....

sounds f******g superb :p

I have my L300/1.2 sitting upside down on a pile of magazines, newspapers, some old socks and the cats litter. There's a bit of sick on one corner of the preamp as well... can't be arsed to clean it to be honest ....

sounds f******g superb :p

best place for a L300 :) only joking

Fraim Arrived to day. The nice chap from Acoustica in Chester spent all day assembling it, wiping down my hifi and building it all back up. Made up with the improvment in both the sound and the looks of it all sitting nice on a fraim. Best way i can describe the sonic benefits of the fraim is i think its just enhanced what the 552 done for me. Its just upped the game in all directions. Not a huge difference but none the less its a difference that can be clearly heard straight away.

Could the sonic difference be due to the system being dismantled and put back together and connections being cleaned? Or did nothing get disconnected?

Could the sonic difference be due to the system being dismantled and put back together and connections being cleaned? Or did nothing get disconnected?

no your right mate, everything was disconnected and the cabling is much neater now, he spent some time making sure all the cables lay right and dont touch each other or walls etc... He also made changes to the order they were pluged in on the extension blocks. Am sure everything has been a factor in the benefits am hearing but as ive just paid for the Fraim i like to think its the fraim that made the dif :)

Nice to do with those changes that are difficult or time consuming to reverse,
not that you need any convincing but to share...

Best,
John

advertisement

Back