advertisement

Fortune telling

I thought fortune telling was nonsense, but I saw a fortune teller some years ago and, dammit, he was unnervingly prescient.

68a98125065fbe2bd00ca84fd5110e7d.jpg

Joe

Are you lying? Where does this cartoon come from?

I can see in the future that the stock market will go down, then it will go up, then it will down, then it will go up...

Pay me £1000 and I will give you it written down on paper.

I had an aunt, now dead, who made her living through fortune telling, a good living too by all indications (she had a flat in Cheyne Walk.) She had an international reputation for her work on Zodiacs -- the one time I met her she had just returned form a conference in Russia on the subject, and she suggested that Princess Di was one of her clients. She was pretty well estranged from her family because of it, my mother (her sister) thought she was a fraud at best and told her so..

did she own one of the mansion flats in Cheyne Court by any chance

Dowsing is real.
Over 40 years ago I worked with someone whose brother in turn worked for a local water company. If they wanted a precise position to dig, out came the dowsing sticks of the ol' boys who'd been on the job for years and sod the metal detectors.

There is probably some very simple science behind it, its just that no-one has studied it enough.

Yes agree, I have used it myself on occasion to find buried services.

I have only come across it once before, one of the directors of a company I worked for had done a study of correlations between prisoners' zodiac charts and their crimes. I forget the results.
Too bad the Zodiac killer couldn't be part of the study.

I've used a Ouija board a few times. I was skeptical that these spirit boards would connect me with the dead, but I have to admit that they do exactly that. The problem, however, is that all the dead I contacted are terrible spellers.

Joe

Dowsing is real...
There is probably some very simple science behind it, its just that no-one has studied it enough.

It’s also the key to a new level of consciousness according to this book. YMMV, I seem to remember mine did. It took me five minutes to find this on my bookshelves owing to the rather unique Towers’ library system, but considering it was last read over forty years ago that’s not bad.

50563663426_028fc4fa81.jpg

It's in that 'there are more things under this sun Stanley' category.
My Great granny was an irish Romany who made a living from telling fortunes. I never met her so no idea what she said or did, but the iChing proved be be so easy to interpret as I wanted to hear that I did that for a few years and ...it led me here, so?

My mother told us she saw a fortune teller in New Brighton years before she was married. The fortune teller said that she would marry quite late in life, then have four children, two girls and two boys, in that order. Which is what happened.

Where I used to work, a young woman used to read people's fortunes using Tarot cards (just for fun, she never charged anything). When one of her co-workers was having the cards 'read', the young woman suddenly gathered up the cards and said words to the effect that she wouldn't go on with the reading, but wouldn't say why. Needless to say, the co-worker was terrified, thinking something dreadful must have come up in the cards. Work got round to management, who told the card-reader in no uncertain terms to cease and desist from the readings.

I had an aunt, now dead, who made her living through fortune telling, a good living too by all indications (she had a flat in Cheyne Walk.) She had an international reputation for her work on Zodiacs -- the one time I met her she had just returned form a conference in Russia on the subject, and she suggested that Princess Di was one of her clients. She was pretty well estranged from her family because of it, my mother (her sister) thought she was a fraud at best and told her so.

I have only come across it once before, one of the directors of a company I worked for had done a study of correlations between prisoners' zodiac charts and their crimes. I forget the results.

Oh, and I once met someone who said he used his magic powers of dowsing to help oil companies find oil wells. But that's maybe different.

I knew a mechanic who was just the same!

Dowsing "works" through the same mechanism as do Ouija boards, i.e. not at all.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dowsing

A quote from the link - "The majority of UK water companies confirm that some of their engineers use dowsing to locate leaks, although most companies claim they do not encourage the use of dowsing."

There is also a total load of hogwash in the linked article about the duff metal/bomb detectors sold all over, not least Iraq. That made UK national radio and details of the case were discussed, and they were nothing like reported on the link.

When curiosity got the better of me I bought some dowsing rods and tried them out by walking over the water pipe that runs under the back lawn. They only went and pointed inwards every time I crossed the pipe and the same when the kids tried.

Might I be a party pooper here and gently and politely point out what is known as ‘reporting error’? When you hear that predictions (dowsing, readings) are accurate you should bear in mind that cases where prediction, dowsing etc didn’t work and you didn’t hear about them....

Derren Brown did a program a couple of years ago where he made an incredible series of predictions and convinced a group of people that it was genuine. At the end of the programme he revealed the dozen or so previous attempts that failed and the participants told not to reveal the outcome.

A quote from the link - "The majority of UK water companies confirm that some of their engineers use dowsing to locate leaks, although most companies claim they do not encourage the use of dowsing."
Yes, it's quite embarrassing.

I've used a Ouija board a few times. I was skeptical that these spirit boards would connect me with the dead, but I have to admit that they do exactly that. The problem, however, is that all the dead I contacted are terrible spellers.

Joe

60 years ago my aunties invited me to one of their seances, a very popular pastime back then with little TV. The board was very simple and yes or no was used most of the time, I was never invited again after the glass shot across the room and one aunt started speaking in a man's voice and falling over. I assumed that this was a communal subconscious thing, nothing to do with the dead or the future. That is a very interesting subject, though no doubt you will take the piss...

Joe

My dogs got no dictionary...

advertisement

Back