advertisement

Format pesto. How do you listen to your music these days?Format pesto.

Format Pesto: How do you mainly listen to your hifi music?

• Total voters

Sonneteer

Trade: Sonneteer
As is clear from the blogs, fora (under other Sonneteer discussions too) and media the number of ways to listen to music have been on an exponential growth curve for the better part of a decade. In the past ways would come then go away only to be taken over completely by something new. Now it seems when a new format comes along it is simply added to the mix. Some formats become small, niche players but rarely do they truly die.

The advent of small children means at home most of our listening is streamed via internet radio or from music stored on a server. My hat is tipped to high end a little still as I am using a Morpheus and a very nice pair of Concert 11s. My 3 year old daughter's play room and my former music recording room has a Byron and a Campion. Wind the bobbin up is more oft played than Hail to a Thief these days. So most of my serious listening is done in the office/workshop as we test and develop.

From Vinyl to DSD, we'd really love to hear how you do it.

Haider

I do seem to spend most of my time listening via a vortexbox and SBT through a Quad 34/306 these days mainly for convenience while I am busy doing other things. Quality listen time however remains via vinyl and an 845 set amp

I do seem to spend most of my time listening via a vortexbox and SBT through a Quad 34/306 these days mainly for convenience while I am busy doing other things. Quality listen time however remains via vinyl and an 845 set amp

Thanks for sharing Andy,

I wonder if the quality and convenience will ever converge? Not a triumph of hope over reason I hope?!

Haider

I work from home so am a bit of an anomaly - if I didn't then I'd hardly ever listen to music except for radio while cooking (children do get in the way don't they ;-) ). While working I'm either 6music through ipod touch on a pure i20 dock into dac, or foobar on laptop into same dac. Very occasional vinyl listening in the living room if the screaming hordes are out playing and I'm not doing chores or diy.

Thanks James, I can empathise with the steeling time to listen bit. I am lucky in the sense that I work with it so testing our products and development means listening to a lot of music. Laptops seem to be becoming a major player these days.

Luckily also for me my 3 year old likes our hifi and likes to listen to it 'loud daddy, really loud'. I just need to steer her tastes in music a little.

Haider

Computer through a dac, which I control remotely from a wifi device. Like James I work from home. Serious listening is done on vinyl.

I work from home so am a bit of an anomaly - if I didn't then I'd hardly ever listen to music except for radio while cooking (children do get in the way don't they ;-) ). While working I'm either 6music through ipod touch on a pure i20 dock into dac, or foobar on laptop into same dac. Very occasional vinyl listening in the living room if the screaming hordes are out playing and I'm not doing chores or diy.

I suspect you are not alone amongst the home workers; me included. 6 music is on most of the day in my house.

Also a lot of internet radio via a mobile (on an all-you-can-eat data contract) - radioparadise, for instance. I also listen to this in the van via mobile over bluetooth.

Sounds like the music is definitely more important than the format. The good stuff certainly transcends the format or playback medium. My car stereo is very very poor sonically, but it doesn't stop me singing out loud from time to time.

Haider

Spotify and itunes using a laptop feeding usb dac. I do have a large cd and vinyl collection but rarely get an opportunity to sit and listen.

Spotify and itunes using a laptop feeding usb dac. I do have a large cd and vinyl collection but rarely get an opportunity to sit and listen.

Time seems to be everyone's enemy. So we need to delivery you the quality without the fuss don't we?

Haider

advertisement

Back