advertisement

For those who desire bass try Max Richter - Shadow Journal

Peter McDermott

pfm Member
Not sure what to make of Max Richter in general but I've been playing some of his recordings on Spotify and last night was listening to The Blue Notebooks when the track Shadow Journal came on.

Starts with some spoken words and high-pitched strings and then after a bit the bass comes in.

If you like bass give it a go, it goes low.

It’s a really good album IMO. Some beautiful string arrangements mixed in with the electronica and general ambience. Some pretty immense bass at times too!

PS I see it has been reissued and extended to 2xCDs with remixes etc (Amazon), I’ve got the original single disc issue.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the reminder - I've had this CD since it came out but haven't played it for ages. I really like Richter's music ( Three Worlds is my favourite) but do sometimes find its like someones made a classical playlist featuring only adagios. That said, all that melancholy is just perfect for these autumnal days.

If you like deep bass have you heard James Blake's version of Limit to Your Love off his debut record? It even gets deep bass from bass shy speakers. Id love to hear it on some 15" cones at some point.

Thanks for the reminder - I've had this CD since it came out but haven't played it for ages. I really like Richter's music ( Three Worlds is my favourite) but do sometimes find its like someones made a classical playlist featuring only adagios. That said, all that melancholy is just perfect for these autumnal days.

If you like deep bass have you heard James Blake's version of Limit to Your Love off his debut record? It even gets deep bass from bass shy speakers. Id love to hear it on some 15" cones at some point.

Yes, I've got that James Blake record and agree totally.

I suppose you could say there are connections between him and Philip Glass and Yann Teirson.

I thought when i first heard of him thought he was a German or Scandinavian composer (bit like Jóhann Jóhannsson), i didn't realise until i saw a tube video of him that he from the UK and relatively young.

I think the last album i have of Richters is Sleep the CD version, a remarkable album.

If you like Max Richter another artist you might be interested in is Vladimir Martynov (a peer of Arvo Part) the track Der Abschied starts of desolate and repetitive, a hard journey, then turns into something repetitive...romantic, exquisite and moving.

Massive fan of max richter .some of his stuff is superb . Bought 2 more CD this week . Never look away and hostiles. My favourite is testament of youth and waltz with Bashir

I would like the second track on The Blue Notebooks, "On the Nature of Daylight", played at my funeral. It will make a break from the Grateful Dead .
We saw Max Richter at the RNCM a few years ago playing The Blue Notebooks and parts of Sleep. I was a bit sceptical before the show but the music really gained from the live performance - the soprano on Sleep (I think the track is called Path 5) was incredible.

I suppose you could say there are connections between him and Philip Glass and Yann Teirson.

I thought when i first heard of him thought he was a German or Scandinavian composer (bit like Jóhann Jóhannsson), i didn't realise until i saw a tube video of him that he from the UK and relatively young.

I think the last album i have of Richters is Sleep the CD version, a remarkable album.

If you like Max Richter another artist you might be interested in is Vladimir Martynov (a peer of Arvo Part) the track Der Abschied starts of desolate and repetitive, a hard journey, then turns into something repetitive...romantic, exquisite and moving.

This is a splendid album...a mixed program of Part and Martynov. Kremer is always very sound on his Part.

This is the only recording (I'm aware of) of Martynov's "Come In" which is a lovely piece.

Screenshot-2021-11-12-at-14-01-09.png

advertisement

Back