advertisement

For those using digital media just a recommendation

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer par excellence
I had a cheap tp-Link LS108 g switch that I fitted about 18 months ago and just forgot about . Well it died for some reason and will not show any power . So put the connections back direct to the router and still kept having the drop out issues . new switch needed saw the below on e-bay and thought why not . My brother is head of the IT section for Merseyside Health and deals with networks and asking him he said Cisco is a very good make and they are super reliable and used by most business networks . So bought it and it arrived on Friday great packing and really in excellent condition . The difference in build quality from the TP-Link is very noticeable . Bigger unit good metal construction has its own power supply built in just a kettle plug lead . While it is a managed unit the company have reset the unit to factory default and just plugged it in and is working as it should . Network is now super stable no more wobblies and would recomend this as a very good value buy that will just work .

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=313330918786

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It is only 10/100 so not a good basis for any network that needs to support a lot of file transfer. If you're only using it for streaming, browsing, it'll be fine.

As above. Even most decent internet connections surpass 100mbit in speed nowadays. You can buy a TP Link or Netgear 16-port gigabit switch for not much more. Neither will be any less reliable than that Cisco in a domestic environment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Those metal bodied Netgear 5 and 8 port switches are a solid choice, have put lots into small businesses over umpteen years, can’t recall one going faulty.

For bigger jobs in comms cabs Ubiquiti, HP and Cisco are 1st choice. Netgear, Zyxel and TP Link are 2nd if budget is limited.

Heck I've been using a couple of the cheap plastic TP Link 8 port gigabit switches in my house for years now without a single issue.

I do love Unifi as a "prosumer" choice though. My USG and AC Lite access point have been absolutely spot on. I'm not sure I'm as keen on the traffic stats telling me how many gigabytes of Netflix I've watched, but hey ho ;)

Heck I've been using a couple of the cheap plastic TP Link 8 port gigabit switches in my house for years now without a single issue.

I do love Unifi as a "prosumer" choice though. My USG and AC Lite access point have been absolutely spot on. I'm not sure I'm as keen on the traffic stats telling me how many gigabytes of Netflix I've watched, but hey ho ;)
Nowt wrong with TP Link, we use a lot of their routers, every client gets a free one in case their Draytek router fails, lots in holiday cottage type scenarios. Not used their switches as we've always used Netgear for soho jobs.

So long as you are the Unifi Admin and no one else sees the reports you're fine :) The Gen 2 kit is very good, was an early adopter years ago and initially there were some challenges getting the buggers to behave.

Netgear switches used to give me regular problems so I switched (intended) to TPLink.
No problems since.

It is only 10/100 so not a good basis for any network that needs to support a lot of file transfer. If you're only using it for streaming, browsing, it'll be fine.
Most of these Cisco switches have GB uplink ports and 10/100 regular ports which is going to be fine for most domestic use. Arguably better for audio in that 10/100 ports use less power, as they use lower Voltage and only run 2 of the 4 twisted pairs in an Ethernet cable, so have the potential to generate and transmit less interference. That’s why most streamers run 100 Ethernet ports, not GB ports, as a design choice.
So yes, if you really need the extra, use GB ports, but for me, ‘fast’ 100MB is plenty.

advertisement

Back