Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

For lovers of exotic cables...

Discussion in 'audio' started by tones, May 16, 2022.

1. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Rhodium is a good contact plating metal since it is resistant to corrosion while having low electrical resistance and better durability than gold. It is also ludicrously expensive. For domestic audio applications, gold or even nickel plating is perfectly adequate.

2. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

The difference between solid copper plugs and brass plugs might be a fraction of a m-ohm. About the same difference as adding 10cm to the wires. Ie absolutely SFA.

3. w00fer

w00fer pfm Member

And with fancy cables you'd be wired for sound...

AudioAl and cooky1257 like this.
  4. Cappuccino

Cappuccino pfm Member

So the system was running Siltech, which I usually like. However when Jack put the copper cables in there was a definite uplift in quality. Then the silver version went in, and i thought this was going to get bright but it didn’t it just brought more of everything.

Now ive never found Siltech to be dull but in comparison in that system they certainly sounded it. But I don’t think the inakustik would sound good in a bright system, they would be too much.

5. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

LFD appear to be in stealth mode, how did you become aware of them ?

the caretaker likes this.
  6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Or Michael Gove.

Bob McC likes this.
  7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Surely you’re wired for sound whichever cables you use ?

8. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

9. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Always good fun when you can have a major impact on someone's hifi life.

One of my oldest friends, who like me had pretty much given up on 'serious hifi' from the mid '90s, came round to my house in 2004 to hear my then recently acquired system; Opus 21, Sugden MasterClass and LV OBX-R2s, Finite Elemente Master Reference rack, and cables at that point would have been from LV and Electrofluidics IIRC.

He just about battered himself black & blue playing drums on his thighs for two or three hours.

Fast forward the best part of two decades and he's now got a system with so many zeroes in the price tag it would make Rishi Sunak blink.

Needless to say, his wife has never forgiven me...

the caretaker and Amber Audio like this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

One thing that confuses me about the audiophile cable market is I’d have thought the set-up costs were huge unless you are simply printing a brandname on a commonly available design from an existing major cable supplier, e.g. IIRC both Linn K20 and Naim A4 speaker cable was the same stock BICC stuff with a different colour sleeve and the brandnane stamped in.

In a declining market such as two-channel audio it would surely be prohibitively expensive to do much more than this below say vdH or Kimber level who have been well established for decades. Far easier for someone to knock out a new amp, pair of speakers or whatever as you can get boards stamped out by PCBWay, it is easy to find companies who will CNC small batches of cases/cabs, and everything else can be bought off the shelf. A genuinely new cable would need a lot of real investment, surely?

11. sq225917

There's plenty of oems who will brand up anything you want from their catalogue. The moq's won't be small, but the price per unit pretty modest.

12. w00fer

w00fer pfm Member

Yep, good point. I didn't really think it through.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, I realise that and cited a pretty famous example, but if one wants something sufficiently fancy to write a page of implausible prose about with cross sectional renderings etc exposing the ‘unique technology’ and it not to be easily recognisable or infringe any other brand selling the same thing, surely that costs?

14. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Comedic effect.

the caretaker likes this.
  15. sq225917

I'm not sure it does Tony. That's just made of lacquered silver wire, some Teflon tube, a bit of 3d printing and a bucket load of bling. Compared to the msrp I bet the BOM is a 10th.

16. NeilK

NeilK pfm Member

17. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

I guess this comes down to how you enjoy your hobby.

Offering what seems to be an incompletely finished product for that much, requiring the customer to pay extra for burn-in and/or special burn-in to complete its manufacture, is surely something only a high-end audiophile could love. In my world the customer would be livid, but I assume RK & RA know their customers.

Different "end points" for different burn-in options? If so, that's an innovation that had not occurred to me.

18. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

19. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

I once had occasion to consult the Gore Aerospace catalogue.

The description of how one of their cables was constructed rang a bell. Sure enough on checking it was very close indeed to the details on a particular high-end audio cable's web page. That's not conclusive, of course, but certainly suspicious.

Is there something about the requirements for operating reliably in an airframe that aligns with what you need in a high-end home audio system?

20. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

Hi, yes they may be £35k but but did you read the add properly, £3% off if you go to Brugg to pick them up, I'm on the phone :eek: :rolleyes: