Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

For lovers of exotic cables...

Discussion in 'audio' started by tones, May 16, 2022.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

2. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Lots of talk about air dielectric.

And then a little bit of talk about the wires being litz/ lacquered. So not an air dielectric, but a lacquer one...

Doh.

tuga and yespsb like this.
  3. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

I often wonder who buys these things and then again why, what thought process goes on before the customer says to himself ~~~ yep, there the ones for me, I am happy to pay whatever they are asking. Please note I am not saying the purchasers are wrong or right, its their money and they are free to spend any which way they want to.

the caretaker likes this.
  4. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Those look like the ones Jay had a look at:

5. tones

tones Tones deaf

Long ago, I queried John Borwick, then the audio editor of Gramophone, on exotic cables. He commented that he thought that a decent wire sounded just like any other decent wire, but, and this is the bit I remember best, "I wouldn't dissuade an enthusiast from giving his super-system a birthday present, if paying over the odds makes him feel better." Agreed; if you like it and can afford it, go for it.

adamdea, Scotchegg and John Phillips like this.
  6. bdw

bdw pfm Member

Great video, thanks for sharing, was interesting to see his opinion, especially on the cable risers!

7. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

The better my sources/preamp/amps/speakers got...the less interested I became in cables..

Is that just me?

narabdela likes this.
  8. bigfish786

bigfish786 Member

I don’t use expensive cables.
    I don’t use cheap cables.
    I don’t use cheap copies of expensive cables.

I stick to a sensible budget of my own making. and good quality cables.

for me, once you get over the £100 per meter, for either interconnect or speaker cable, I wonder just how much better a cable can be?

yespsb likes this.
  9. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

I have gone the same way, I will continue to experiment (muck about) with various combination however I have definitely slowed down because even doing it yourself soon adds up to several hundreds of pounds. My starting point is always telluirum copper connectors, after that, well is up for grabs. Can I hear the difference, yes 100% I can although its now becoming more subtle as I suspect I have entered the realms of diminishing returns.

My speaker cables are a close copy of the Iconoclast https://www.iconoclastcable.com/speaker/index.htm.

I was drawn to their design after a lot of research in part because of their pedigree and in part because they are happy to share their design philosophy unlike many and in particular Telluirum Q who appear to me to prosper by smoke & mirrors. The raw materials were a fraction over £200 and it took me many man hours to figure out how to weave them together and then actually weave over 200m of thin wire. The result is very good but I wouldn't go to this much effort again, its ok for them, they have all the tooling and I imagine its takes them minutes and not days to make a decent length.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

You could offer the first three lines to Cliff Richard.

w00fer, Clive D and notevenclose like this.
  11. LuisAlmeida

LuisAlmeida pfm Member

Exactly the same for interconects, speaker and power cables, the cheap there is for Internet and power line between power strip and house main power box.

12. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

I make my cables from professional cable supply by the metre available locally.

Simon s, matt303 and Del monaco like this.
  13. Cappuccino

Cappuccino pfm Member

Heard these, specifically a set of silver XLR interconnects and speaker cables at the Audiobarn along with the copper version. The silver were a big step up.

how they compare against other cables i couldn’t say as only compared the silver against copper versions.

no mot in the market, just happened to be there.

the caretaker likes this.
  14. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

I struggle to see the performance advantage of using a very conductive material (tellurium copper) coated in a relatively far less conductive material (rhodium). Then again, I'm so far outside the target demographic for this product I don't even show up on their market research reports.

15. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

I have never said I used Rhodium coated anything, for the record I totally agree with you. The whole Rhodium thing baffles me and if I am missing something then I am happy to be educated. All my connections are either copper or silver plated copper

kasperhauser likes this.
  16. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

What did you think when you heard a system using them ?

17. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

I thought that this was going to be about bondage...

18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Haha! That's an excellent way of putting it. Ditto. You might as well be discussing Lamborghini upgrades.

kasperhauser likes this.
  19. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

You would think the better your kit gets then perhaps upgrade your cables accordingly? Seems obvious..is that just me?

20. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

I use LFD cabling mostly..some Audioquest stuff too...better cabling makes for better sound!