advertisement

For any railway enthusiasts here...

tones

Tones deaf
The narrowest gauge railway in Switzerland (75cm), the Waldenburgerbahn, runs past my office. Or did, until Easter Monday. The line is owned by the BLT, one of Basel's tram companies, and it has decided to bite an entire arsenal of bullets and change it to metre-gauge, the gauge for all Swiss tram lines and most of the narrow-gauge mountain lines. Although it's only 13Km of track, this is a monumental undertaking, which will disrupt traffic in the valley until December 2022.

The WB trains are being loaded on to trailers just down from my office, for transport to their new home, a railway in Slovakia that bizarrely runs through a football stadium:

The new WB rolling stock will be more comfortable and air-conditioned:

https://www.urban-transport-magazine.com/en/waldenburgerbahn-fleet-sold-to-slovakia/

but it's still sad to see the old ones go. It also meant the end for the WB's steam locomotive Gédéon Thommen - I'd imagine that regauging a steam locomotive would be prohibitive (if it would even be technically feasible), and the BLT made it quite clear that it would NOT be paying for it. So it was retired to a special museum exhibit.

I love trains. Trying to get Mrs C to authorise a model railway of some kind. Some hope... thanks for posting...

Thanks for sharing this interesting information! I'll check it out! My introduction to trains was in the form of HAP Southern Region Electric Multiple Units.

Whenever I see BR 'Trojan' Moquette, I remember the Compartments; the Wood Panelling and the Tungsten Saloon Lamps.

As I pedalled past the Hölstein station shown in the link above, it was in the process of being completely flattened. Hölstein is losing its passing loop (not long enough for the new trains), a new one being created just north of the village. For anyone remotely interested (in German only, I'm afraid):

https://www.blt.ch/neubau-wb/das-projekt.html

Model railways were my first and have been longest love, from the very early years to the current day I have had model trains. I have a collection of N gauge UK trains and stock with a long term plan of a scale model of Newark Northgate railway station set in the 2000's. Will probably end up a retirement project but you never know.

I love trains. Trying to get Mrs C to authorise a model railway of some kind. Some hope... thanks for posting...

Should you manage to convince her, a very good friend has just started a small business making model buildings for layouts; and they are brilliant.
He takes commissions, should you have specific requests.

I’ve always fancied modelling Mansfield’s railway station and engine yard from the 1950’s. The green livery of the new diesels and also steam engines, with the red/yellow carriages...

The transition era as it is often known has become the most popular modelling period. My child memories were from the "banger blue" period of British Rail arrows of indecision. Missed the whole steam thing but they are impressive things, I did buy a model of Tornado which for a joyous couple of months was the newest engine on the whole rail network.

So is Pete Waterman (vaguely music related).

Pretty sure that Rod Stewart paid for some guy to replace his model railway that was stolen.

Railway club actually.

The singer said: "It took me 23 years to build my model railway so I feel their pain.

"The collection was priceless and I am donating £10,000 to help compensate those affected and asking fellow enthusiasts Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and others to do the same."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

So is Pete Waterman (vaguely music related).

Pete Waterman's Leamington is beyond belief - especially considering how irrelevent the railway had become to us locally in the 70s and early 80s. My Mum worked in local hospital (when it was still there).

Pretty sure that Rod Stewart paid for some guy to replace his model railway that was stolen.

Railway club actually.

The singer said: "It took me 23 years to build my model railway so I feel their pain.

"The collection was priceless and I am donating £10,000 to help compensate those affected and asking fellow enthusiasts Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and others to do the same."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

Interesting, most of them I knew about as being model railway enthusiasts, but not Roger Daltry - you learn something new every day.

They don't do things by halves in Switzerland when it comes to railways. Witness the Gotthard Base Tunnel - the longest railway tunnel (through a mountain) in the world at around 35 miles.

I did a Great Rail Journeys tour of Switzerland in 2013 - it was an amazing trip, just to see how superbly run Swiss railways are was an education in itself.

advertisement

Back