advertisement

Footwear - all purpose thread for footwear

Birks around the house at this time of year, or bare foot. Can't do crocs as not enough support, like walking on jelly. Few pairs of trainers and my work driving shoes is about it, I've never owned a pair of formal shoes.

More pictures needed...

The most expensive pairs in my (oft complained about by the local residents) collection ;):

yNwsmQt.jpg

I like them and they are all the same so I have different colours for different occasions

The most expensive pairs in my (oft complained about by the local residents) collection ;):

yNwsmQt.jpg

I like them and they are all the same so I have different colours for different occasions

Only a runner would understand! Do they make you faster? I’m pondering whether I could sneak a pair in under the radar…

Only a runner would understand! Do they make you faster?

The first time out in them I took 2 mins off my local 5k route, and in the 2-3 months I've been running in them I've had PBs at 5k, 10k and half marathon (at tender age of 57!) - albeit feeling pretty fit at the moment...So yes, I believe they make a significant difference. They feel fast..if that makes sense. Saucony has a sale on their website right now, so these (and the plastic rather than carbon plate Speed version) are at a pretty good price, though still not cheap!

I wear socks so they don't smell too bad. The ventilation is pretty good anyway!

The yellow ones are the fastest IMHO....but that might be getting into cable thread territory..:p

Last edited:
Darn it! Probs going to have to try a bit of running shoe doping myself! Obvs will have to wait until I get a bit fitter!

As for Crocs, personally wouldn't be seen dead. They're hardly rock n roll and have serious aesthetic issues.
Blue Suede shoes, My Adidas, Dancing shoes, Old brown Shoe, Diamonds in the soles of her shoes, Boots made for walking, etc etc. I suspect no one has written a song about Cr*cks.
Surprised by the Wu-Tang Clan.

My shoe choice these days is largely determined by my orthoses which correct a problem with my right foot causing problems further up my leg. It took the third physiotherapist I saw to diagnose that the leg issues were coming from my foot.

The latest orthoses were made after 3d analysis of me walking on a treadmill following by a 3d scan of my feet to generate the moulds for each foot.

The first thing when buying shoes or boots is to check if the insoles are removable. Also the shoe needs not have a built in arch support. I had to get rid of good pair of walking boots because they were too narrow in the arch area pushing the orthose out of line.

Darn it! Probs going to have to try a bit of running shoe doping myself! Obvs will have to wait until I get a bit fitter!

As for Crocs, personally wouldn't be seen dead. They're hardly rock n roll and have serious aesthetic issues.
Blue Suede shoes, My Adidas, Dancing shoes, Old brown Shoe, Diamonds in the soles of her shoes, Boots made for walking, etc etc. I suspect no one has written a song about Cr*cks.

The Croc(odile) Rock?

In my working days I had some nice classic cap-toe pairs and used to have a mammoth polishing session every week or two. This was well before smart-casual became a thing. Now I have 4 casual pairs which don’t seem to need cleaning and a pair of trainers - oh, and a pair of cheap black formal ones that I bought for a wedding languishing in the wardrobe. Don’t miss those cleaning episodes at all!

Shoes are the most important item of attire, I judge entirely by what people wear on their feet.

5 pairs of Trickers
2 pairs of Grenson Triple welts
1 pair of Grenson G two brogues
1 pair of Loakes
1 pair of Redwing Chuckas

The latter is my response to the cost of living crisis;) Trickers are now £500+

Anyone wearing crocs should be shot on site, no one over 30 should wear converse & ‘Docs’ are for students.

I am only joking about some of the above.

I wear Clarks wide shoes in Black or Brown out on the street and Clarks sandals in summer and in the house as slippers. I have a pair of Croc plastic sandals to swim in so I don't injure my dainty tooties on stones in the sea.
How can I put this sensitively? Screw anyone who doesn't like my tootie preservation strategy.

IMO, Birkenstock has really upped their game in recent years. Love their Oswego and Bend Low lines. Superbly comfortable, with perfect (for me) arch support.

I’d say I have about 20 pairs of Vans, a pair of hiking boots for ankle warmth in the winter or if I’m working on festivals and a pair of Hokas which I’m replacing tomorrow. I’ve spent my entire life working in runners or trainers to you guys. Weirdly though since hitting 40 last year I’m finding ‘Dad’ runners like New Balance more comfortable for all day work. They look hideous though and don’t match anything I wear. The ‘perks’ of not having a ‘grown up’ job.

72 pairs of shoes, crikey!

I pretty much live in deck shoes, generally Sebago of varying weight depending on the time of year. If I’m dog walking, Aigle walking boots, if I’m dog walking and it’s really mucky, Le Chameau wellies (so comfy). Oh, and black / brown brogues for weddings and funerals / when in town. That’s about it.

Is this at your country estate or at your mews house in town?, you could consolidate your entire collection into one pair of crocs.

Crocs remind me of hospitals, so many doctors etc wearing them

With good reason. When you're standing around on hard hospital floors and walking the long corridors all day, Crocs are a real blessing. We all wore them, although I believe since I've retired they're no longer permitted in hospitals.

You may scoff at Crocs, but if you're unlucky enough to develop arthritis in your feet you'll be blessing them.

advertisement

Back