advertisement

Football Fans?

Woodface

pfm Member
The recent lamentable behaviour by England football fans has led me to the conclusion that I probably won’t bother with going to a game again.

I’ve supported Huddersfield Town for over 30 years; there has always been a significant minority of idiots but this seems to be growing. Maybe I am less tolerant of such mindless man-child idiocy these days? The never to be suppressed racism is incredibly depressing.

I guess you mean the booing during the period the team takes a knee? I agree entirely but console myself that it was a minority.

Also, Southgate has been really good at stating his and the teams position on race. They have also taken action to bring racism to the attention of EUFA officials during games and the team stopped playing against one of the most racist countries during qualification in 2019.

This hasn’t always been the case and I look upon the so called friendly in Madrid when Ericsson was the manager with a lot of shame and anger as the monkey noises and other insults ranged down on Coke and Philips and Sven did sweet FA.

I guess you mean the booing during the period the team takes a knee? I agree entirely but console myself that it was a minority.

Also, Southgate has been really good at stating his and the teams position on race. They have also taken action to bring racism to the attention of EUFA officials during games and the team stopped playing against one of the most racist countries during qualification in 2019.

This hasn’t always been the case and I look upon the so called friendly in Madrid when Ericsson was the manager with a lot of shame and anger as the monkey noises and other insults ranged down on Coke and Philips and Sven did sweet FA.
I like Southgate but my problem is with the fans. The state of the comments on Twitter suggests that the minority is growing.

I can see them having some difficult decisions about continuing with some of the foreign fans behaviour in the next few weeks.

I'm awaiting the day when a team walks off the field due to the behaviour of its own fans.

I suggested this very thing in the football thread tonight. I don't care if it's a minority booing, it's utterly disgusting and action needs to be taken!

I’ve supported Huddersfield Town for over 30 years; there has always been a significant minority of idiots but this seems to be growing. Maybe I am less tolerant of such mindless man-child idiocy these days? The never to be suppressed racism is incredibly depressing.

So why did you not protest in the 1970's when such racism was far more rife ?

I barely attended matches during the 70s & 80s. I actually think the racism is just as rife now, these pathetic people use SM now.

But, yes, this is all my fault for not protesting when I was in single figures.

I think it's fair to assume Racists eat and use public transport so do we boycott Aldi and the tube too?

No we should challenge them head on and at least taking the knee/their booing has made it visible and so can be confronted.

So because someone didn't do something in the past they shouldn't be allowed to criticise something in the present?. Just to be clear... you are not making excuses for this disgusting behaviour are you?

I barely attended matches during the 70s & 80s. I actually think the racism is just as rife now, these pathetic people use SM now.

Agreed, I think it's actually worse as social media has given people a platform which they can hide behind and yet still spout their bigoted views and in the UK, at least, Brexit has made racism acceptable to many.

Racism was much worse at football matches in the 1970s...I know because I went to games then and watched MoD and The Big Match/Shoot.

You would here chants supporting the National Front and black players treated as novelty.

Not surprising though given that programmes such as The Alf Garnett Show, Love Thy Neighbour and even the treatment of Philip in Rising Damp were prevalent on mainstream tv.

The UK is in a much better place than it was in the 70s albeit still far from perfect.

Agreed, I think it's actually worse as social media has given people a platform which they can hide behind and yet still spout their bigoted views and in the UK, at least, Brexit has made racism acceptable to many.

Precisely - Brexit has emboldened these people.

It is the fact that it is coming from young people which is the massive worry for me. Look at that idiot cricketer who has been caught out recently.

I actually have confronted someone at a match, a few years ago now. An older racist, with his grandson, called a player a ‘black bastard’.

Not exactly football related but this annoyed me - Irresponsible, trashy reporting....But then again it shouldn't surprise given the source;-

Author who visited Muslim mosques across Britain reveals 'no go areas' for white men | Daily Mail Online
About the line 'women who can't leave home without permission'.

I believe this is still the case in a lot of families, and it's not acceptable in any way. The fact that it's outlined by the DM doesn't make it excusable. Other points in the article are very questionable, but this one isn't.

This is not a problem confined to football. This is a societal problem that feels like it’s growing. The root causes are a sense of identity that sees itself in opposition to groups deemed ‘outside’. We need a national identity that is inclusive and embraces all citizens of this country. We need a culture that demands inclusion of all our residents in any notion of Britishness.

We are living in a period where Britishness is being based on myths of our past, myths that see us as victors, winners against a foe. Superior to others.

We need an identity free from myths, we need an identity fit for the real world

advertisement

Back