advertisement

Fons cq30

robbyd

pfm Member
Picked one a couple of years ago...

came with Grace 707 and Supex 901 super!

trying to resurrect it now, but seems like there's no suspension...

I see the springs top and bottom of the sub-chassis, from below, but they're very fine and pretty well collapsed. They look more like solder than steel! There's no bounce like I'd expect.... almost like transit bolts are in, except they're not!

Is this how they were, or what?

Any ideas on where to get replacement springs? Or is it a scrapper? (Of course not, but no good as is...)

thanks
Rob

Have a chat with someone like Springmasters. Measure the springs, tell them what it's for, they will have a suitable replacement.

Due to the layout, and the fact that there's a top spring acting down, as well as bottom spring (as lp12), the fitted spring length looks lke it can be no more than 8-10mm, which seems extremely short...

I have one in my TT collection. From prior reading on the forums my understanding is that the springs should be tightened so effectively there is no bounce. Whether the suspension then provides any benefit as a result of the tightening is something I am not convinced about.

I have one in my TT collection. From prior reading on the forums my understanding is that the springs should be tightened so effectively there is no bounce. Whether the suspension then provides any benefit as a result of the tightening is something I am not convinced about.

that's pretty well how it is...

tightened so the fitted length is very short, and yet the free length is just like a Linn spring!

had other issues, with the G707 counterweight not being able to balance the Supex sufficiently, so I changed cartridges. Then the left channel pin on the din connection decided to fail, but after a bit of work, it's playing records today. Will definitely investigate new springs though...

the Fons works for now - Happy Days!:D

Yes...I had one once, SME arm, £1 boot fair pick up I kid you not. It was a solid deck with no bounce as has been said. Swapped it for a croft valve micro and valve power amp which I do wish I still had.......sigh

advertisement

Back