advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Ah well I might get double for my money then with my question, as this list is very interesting, & I will peruse it for many gems I'm sure.

But my request/ point missed I think maccar. What I was asking was your -audiophile- top 5. IE best recordings, well my interpretation of the term 'best recordings'; intended as the ones, perhaps, you put on 1st after getting your new hifi upgrade. Me, now for eg, a new cartridge breaking in.. & on goes Rush (to the toilet) 1st up of course, & right now NInaN's On Leaving (stunning Steve Albini recording with his vintage russian mics, vintage ludwig drums & his typical big/ deep, sparse production).

Capt

Ah well I might get double for my money then with my question, as this list is very interesting, & I will peruse it for many gems I'm sure.

But my request/ point missed I think maccar. What I was asking was your -audiophile- top 5. IE best recordings, well my interpretation of the term 'best recordings'; intended as the ones, perhaps, you put on 1st after getting your new hifi upgrade. Me, now for eg, a new cartridge breaking in.. & on goes Rush (to the toilet) 1st up of course, & right now NInaN's On Leaving (stunning Steve Albini recording with his vintage russian mics, vintage ludwig drums & his typical big/ deep, sparse production).

Capt
Ahright, sorry, misunderstood.
I'll have to have another think.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Ahright, sorry, misunderstood.
I'll have to have another think.
Here you go Captain, afraid couldn't get it down to 5 again:
You Are Wolf, Keld
Ian King, Panic Grass and Fever Few
Windjammer, Awaken
Mishra, The Loft Tapes
Jake Blount, The New Faith
Hannah James, The Woman and Her Words
Ellie Gowers, Dwelling by the Weir
Chris While, Rosella Red
Allan Taylor, Colour to the Moon
Agnes Obel, Aventine

Here you go Captain, afraid couldn't get it down to 5 again:
You Are Wolf, Keld
Ian King, Panic Grass and Fever Few
Windjammer, Awaken
Mishra, The Loft Tapes
Jake Blount, The New Faith
Hannah James, The Woman and Her Words
Ellie Gowers, Dwelling by the Weir
Chris While, Rosella Red
Allan Taylor, Colour to the Moon
Agnes Obel, Aventine

Hi maccar.

Impressive in 3 ways: first that you can't get down to 5! Secondly that I've not heard of any of these musicians, let alone the albums listed. 3rdly that my favourite album of all-time, NN's canine one which is luckily for me also a fabulous (S.Albini) recording, isn't even on the list at all!

So a further question then. Are some of these featured in your all-time best "audiophile" album recordings? I mean you could have Kraftwerk's Tour De France, or Yes 90125 for example in such a list as Im sure you have other avenues than folk that you like.

Hi maccar.

Impressive in 3 ways: first that you can't get down to 5! Secondly that I've not heard of any of these musicians, let alone the albums listed. 3rdly that my favourite album of all-time, NN's canine one which is luckily for me also a fabulous (S.Albini) recording, isn't even on the list at all!

So a further question then. Are some of these featured in your all-time best "audiophile" album recordings? I mean you could have Kraftwerk's Tour De France, or Yes 90125 for example in such a list as Im sure you have other avenues than folk that you like.
Captain you're getting my old brain at it... I'll have to have another think.
In the meantime, does anyone have any particular favourite Folk/Acoustic festive album, song/tune you like to play at this time of year?

In the meantime, does anyone have any particular favourite Folk/Acoustic festive album, song/tune you like to play at this time of year?

I'm surprised not to see The Brightness in your list, in place of YMIAmerica, as this would feature in my "audiophile cd's" top 10 (& up there probably no.3 or so in my "best folk album" list I'd think too).

It's one I often put on to test the sound after tweaking a capacitor type or value, or replacing tweeters as it's the ultimate test for 'shrillness' (IE keeping it in check), as well as it's clarity, dynamic depth & instrument space.

I'm surprised not to see The Brightness in your list, in place of YMIAmerica, as this would feature in my "audiophile cd's" top 10 (& up there probably no.3 or so in my "best folk album" list I'd think too).

It's one I often put on to test the sound after tweaking a capacitor type or value, or replacing tweeters as it's the ultimate test for 'shrillness' (IE keeping it in check), as well as it's clarity, dynamic depth & instrument space.
Haven't listened to The Brightness for a while, but I love most of what Anais makes.

Come on, some of you must have some seasonal favourites within the Folk/Acoustic genre surely... Here's a new one out from The Furrow Collective
https://thefurrowcollective.bandcamp.com/album/the-longest-night

Around Sheffield and North Derbyshire we have a tradition of local carols sung in pub and hall, which can be fun to join in with. Some are well known, while some are distinctly local.
The Derbyshire ones tend to be a bit more genteel (here conducted in Hathersage by Ian Russell, who produced a PhD thesis on the tradition)

while South Yorks has more enthusiastic pub renditions, exemplified by the Royal at Dungworth

Maccar the brightness SO trounces YMIAmerica for me.

As so often, it's the second album where a great musician or band excels, then the pressure to continue the same quality gets the better of them, & it's so often just a slow downward trajectory in quality. AM for me is a prime eg.. which I think says alot of her. YMIA a distant 3rd, for having only 2 excellent songs on in my book ( perhaps her best ever written, Tailor & Shepherd) & I feel she almost spent more time on the sublime packaging than the music.

I think others will rate Hadestown because it's so ambitious, intelligent, & progressive. I mean this is the only one Radio4 has mentioned. But Im not interested; for me it all boils down to the simplicity of a guitar line & an accompanying voice, & her first two do this best.

That's my AM spiel in a nutshell!

Maccar the brightness SO trounces YMIAmerica for me.

As so often, it's the second album where a great musician or band excels, then the pressure to continue the same quality gets the better of them, & it's so often just a slow downward trajectory in quality. AM for me is a prime eg.. which I think says alot of her. YMIA a distant 3rd, for having only 2 excellent songs on in my book ( perhaps her best ever written, Tailor & Shepherd) & I feel she almost spent more time on the sublime packaging than the music.

I think others will rate Hadestown because it's so ambitious, intelligent, & progressive. I mean this is the only one Radio4 has mentioned. But Im not interested; for me it all boils down to the simplicity of a guitar line & an accompanying voice, & her first two do this best.

That's my AM spiel in a nutshell!
I am a bit worried about Anais now, as her latest album bares this out, I did buy it, but it's way over produced.

Around Sheffield and North Derbyshire we have a tradition of local carols sung in pub and hall, which can be fun to join in with. Some are well known, while some are distinctly local.
The Derbyshire ones tend to be a bit more genteel (here conducted in Hathersage by Ian Russell, who produced a PhD thesis on the tradition)

while South Yorks has more enthusiastic pub renditions, exemplified by the Royal at Dungworth
Must be special... Folk on Foot with Matthew Bannister had a podcast featuring this kind of thing I believe.

advertisement

Back