advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Been listening to this unexpected and superb tribute to Pete Seeger:

https://folkways.si.edu/kronos-quar...nos-quartet-and-friends-celebrate-pete-seeger

I grew up with Pete Seeger, so I'm just a bit biased, but it's a stunning CD if you like American folk music. The version of Kisses Sweeter Than Wine is freaking fantastic.

More info in this Guardian interview with Kronos founder David Harrington:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/19/pete-seeger-legacy-kronos-quartet-long-time-passing

Buy it direct from Folkways and support the heroic Smithsonian.

Just came across a brilliant album by Janis Ian, Breaking Silence
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Another blast from the past! I feel like a martian looking at this thread. I scrolled through all 42 pages of this thread so far to see if there were any references to some of the greats in American folk music back in the day. Not much oddly. I used to love Odetta and had a crush on Buffy Saint Marie. I went to the summer camp run by Janis Ian's parents a couple of summers in the late 1960s. We spent a lot of time sitting around singing folk & protest songs. One summer they took a small group of us to Newport, I think it was '68, when she was performing there. Don't remember much as we were sat way in the back, a long way from the stage. Vaguely remember Richie Havens and Mimi Farina (sister of Joan Baez), who were also friends with the older folks amongst us.

Another blast from the past! I feel like a martian looking at this thread. I scrolled through all 42 pages of this thread so far to see if there were any references to some of the greats in American folk music back in the day. Not much oddly. I used to love Odetta and had a crush on Buffy Saint Marie. I went to the summer camp run by Janis Ian's parents a couple of summers in the late 1960s. We spent a lot of time sitting around singing folk & protest songs. One summer they took a small group of us to Newport, I think it was '68, when she was performing there. Don't remember much as we were sat way in the back, a long way from the stage. Vaguely remember Richie Havens and Mimi Farina (sister of Joan Baez), who were also friends with the older folks amongst us.

Hey! thanks for sharing that with us, happy days.
To explore hundreds more artists visit www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Mac

Admittedly I’ve not read right through all 42 pages of this thread, yet if no one has yet mentioned Steve Ashley then there is no justice! I had never come across his work until I read that his debut album ‘Stroll On’ (Gull Records,1974) had been reissued as ‘Stroll On Revisited’ on CD (Market Square Records, 1999). With backing by members of Fairport Convention and Albion Country Band plus orchestration by Robert Kirby (Nick Drake) plus a superb song cycle referencing the changing seasons of the year then we have a winner!

Steve is perhaps one of the greatest enigma’s of the UK Folk scene, his career has been characterised by some very long silences and very sporadic releases of new material. All I can say is that I’ve amassed a fair old Folk/Acoustic music collection since the early 1990’s - all the usual UK and US suspects - but I’d gladly swap the lot to be able to hold on to Steve’s recorded output.

The Spirit of Christmas (Studio)

The Spirit of Christmas (Live)

Fire and Wine

Candlemas Carol

Admittedly I’ve not read right through all 42 pages of this thread, yet if no one has yet mentioned Steve Ashley then there is no justice! I had never come across his work until I read that his debut album ‘Stroll On’ (Gull Records,1974) had been reissued as ‘Stroll On Revisited’ on CD (Market Square Records, 1999). With backing by members of Fairport Convention and Albion Country Band plus orchestration by Robert Kirby (Nick Drake) plus a superb song cycle referencing the changing seasons of the year then we have a winner!

Steve is perhaps one of the greatest enigma’s of the UK Folk scene, his career has been characterised by some very long silences and very sporadic releases of new material. All I can say is that I’ve amassed a fair old Folk/Acoustic music collection since the early 1990’s - all the usual UK and US suspects - but I’d gladly swap the lot to be able to hold on to Steve’s recorded output.

The Spirit of Christmas (Studio)

The Spirit of Christmas (Live)

Fire and Wine

Candlemas Carol

Great shout... that's what it's all about bringing artists to the reader's notice... love his seasonal tracks, so thanks for those.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Just listening to Ian Carr and the Various Artists - I Like Your Taste in Music. It's superb, a masterpiece. Head and shoulders my best of the year.
Review here. And here, has the title track too.

advertisement

Back