advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Thousands of good folk albums. 1 variation not yet mentioned I think is pure vocal...close harmony stuff. It's a bit 'finger in ear' jokey but the early recordings are lovely, and the story telling remains clear and unbothered by instrumentation.

Try:
The Young Tradition ‎– The Young Tradition Sampler
Label:
Transatlantic Records ‎– TRA SAM 13

. Not a track for the anti huntsters, but this was england 100 years ago or more.:)

Thousands of good folk albums. 1 variation not yet mentioned I think is pure vocal...close harmony stuff. It's a bit 'finger in ear' jokey but the early recordings are lovely, and the story telling remains clear and unbothered by instrumentation.

Try:
The Young Tradition ‎– The Young Tradition Sampler
Label:
Transatlantic Records ‎– TRA SAM 13

. Not a track for the anti huntsters, but this was england 100 years ago or more.:)
The new kids on the block for unaccompanied vocals ar the Young'uns

Planxty's first album, Smoke and Strong Whisky by Christy Moore, maid in Bedlam by John Renbourn (although all his records are great), writer of songs by Harvey Andrews, and Flatfish by Flook are all great folk albums I've got and listened to recently.

Sarah Jarosz. The Wailin’ Jennys.

Contemporary folk, roots and Americana music. Both produced beautiful albums, and are even better live.

Have tickets to see SJ on March 1st!

It's gonna take me a while to wade through all these suggestions... I'm certainly getting my money's worth on this month's Apple Music subscription ;)

Excellent, that's what it's all about, sharing great new Folk/Acoustic music.
Mac
Absolutely. My top picks (for me, anyway) are Molly Tuttle and Chris Wood - but then I'm still going through page 1 of the thread lol
Some female folk singers' voices are too fragile for my taste, but there's a strength to Molly Tuttle's vocals that I enjoy.
I'm loving the observational whimsy of Chris Wood's lyrics.

arah Jarosz. The Wailin’ Jennys.

Contemporary folk, roots and Americana music. Both produced beautiful albums, and are even better live.

Was quite taken by this at a my bake-off last November, so ordered the CD. What a pity it's so compressed; plays at far too high a volume to sound natural. Great tracks, too !

Absolutely. My top picks (for me, anyway) are Molly Tuttle and Chris Wood - but then I'm still going through page 1 of the thread lol
Some female folk singers' voices are too fragile for my taste, but there's a strength to Molly Tuttle's vocals that I enjoy.
I'm loving the observational whimsy of Chris Wood's lyrics.

This one's good

advertisement

Back