advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

good thread, I'll check out what's been suggested..

I like megson, the unthanks - tho, someone mentioned mount the air, this is a big sounding album, try some of their earlier ones first.. and cara Dillon - we saw her live before xmas with her xmas gig...was wonderful.. :)

I've also got good inspiration from the BBC folk award albums in the past -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...crid=1J2GK864YUTO6&rh=i:aps,k:bbc+folk+awards

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A 21st century selection apart from a few (straight folk not often my bag):

Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself (2012) - chamber-folk
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)
Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (2011) - folk-indie
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (1988) - folk-rock
Neil Young - Harvest Moon (1992)
Ray LaMontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black (2006) - chamber-folk
Midlake - The Courage of Others (2010) - folk-indie
Christy Moore - This Is the Day (2001)
Tunng - ...And Then We Saw Land (2010) - folk-electronica

Last edited:
For anyone who's interested, I write a music blog featuring small album reviews with Spotify links and Youtube clips, it can be found here:
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
It's mostly based on Folk/Acoustic music with the odd bit of Jazz and the occasional mainstream.
Mac

@darrenyeats, got quite a lot of your selection... particularly like the Tunng album
keep them coming.
@Mr Cat, have you heard The Unthanks last album, The Songs and Poems of Molly Drake?
Mac

hi - yes, I have that album, and I saw them perform that live last year(?), they also have some new stuff out too -
http://www.the-unthanks.com/lines/ but I'm hoping it's going to appear on amazon music as I've more or less stopped buying cds now (tho, have all their other stuff..)

I'm seeing them live at ushaw college in May too :)

Kitty MacFarlane, from her fabulous album Namer of Clouds... sure this girl has a big future on the Folk scene

A lot of those already mentioned, and to add some more (not all).

The Full English (album same name)
Olivia Chaney (The Longest River - her first album)
Leveret
Lisa Knapp (Hidden Seam)
Chris Wood
Loreena McKennitt (some)
Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer did an interesting take on some classic folk numbers recorded by ‘greats’ over the years, album title ‘Child Ballads’ (songs collected by Francis James Childs)
Lunasa
Deaf Shepherd
Ewan McLennan

Vintage:
Shirley Collins (but not, for me at least, the comeback album ‘Lodestar‘; try to listen to Anthems in Eden Suite)
Martin Carthy
Nic Jones
Ewan MacColl
Peter Bellamy
La Lugh
Sean O Riada (O Riada sa Gaitey)
Mary O’Hara

Could mention some more that I think interesting/worthy, but it'd be straying in to 'world' music.

Talking of Anais Mitchell, can't believe I haven't mentioned one of my favourite singer/songwriters before!
from her brilliant album Young Man in America

This CD and the book it accompanies is a good place to explore the backwaters of English folk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008KGWWKM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It features a lot of those already Mentone but also gives a good context for other things you might find interesting - not all 100% acoustic.

From the archives, I don't think I've seen Martin Cathy or Pentangle mentioned following a swift scroll through - I've been returning t them quite regularly over a 40 year period since first hearing them while I was at school and still love their records - and John Renbourn's soul stuff ( Bert Jansch already mentioned). From the US - the first Joanna Newsom record is fabulous

My Swedish violin playing, folk loving friend loves Lau and The Gloaming - both of whom I've enjoyed when he last visited.

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As well as John and Bert already mentioned, I’m a big fan of John Fahey, Michael Chapman, Robbie Basho and Jack Rose. There’s also some nice early Leo Kottke.

Still sitting on the fence with Steve Gunn, although his contribution to Chapman’s 50 in 2017 was superb.

Last edited:
As well as John and Bert already mentioned, I’m a big fan of John Fahey, Michael Chapman, Robbie Basho and Jack Rose. There’s also some nice early Leo Kottke.

Still sitting on the fence with Steve Gunn, although his contribution to Chapman’s 50 in 2017 were superb.

This is who Bert and John got their inspiration from. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back