advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Darwin Song Project is a great live album recorded at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival, featuring Emily Smith, Katrina Polwart, Krista Detor, Mark Erelli etc.

Americana wise, I've a thing for Father John Misty at the mo. I love Pure Comedy. I'd also check out Jim White, and of course Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss, Mary Chapin Carpenter. Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez are worth checking too. And I love the Avett Brothers, this kills me:

Saw a chap named M G Boulter in a local pub a few months back; I liked his UK folk mingled with Americana sound very much...

Ferocious Dog

worth a listen if you like folk rock/punk.

excellent banjo player John Leonard plays a lively tune and plays pipes as well.

My brother introduced me to Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman, a man and wife folky-type group but not of the “Hey nonny” variety, and I'm really taken with them. I can highly recommend their album “Tomorrow Will Follow Today”.
Seconded. Kathryn originates from the village we live in and we know her parents (name dropper eh? ). Very musical family. Check out Equation, who did well in the States. Kathryn and Sean were key members. Early in her career she formed a duo with Kate Rusby who, if you've not heard her, is definitely worth checking out.

advertisement

Back