advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Here's another impressive Youtube amateur maccar, doing a cover of a real favourite folk song of mine (at home it seems, & using a pretty lowly quality acoustic gtr too).

I've reached my 60's and I think I'm ready to try some Bob Dylan! albums I quite like are Blood on the Tracks, The Times Are A Changing and Freewheeling Bob Dylan... are there any more that I should try?
Might put this out there on the main page, but wanted to ask you Folkies first.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

@maccar Hi there, hope you doin good.

Interesting Rufus W ditty. I was musing last week that I -think- I like Martha Wainwright's debut (05) album as much as RW's output. Do you know this one? It's loosely folk, but has depth & quality of songwriting you'd almost expect.. with some outstanding sections. Pinkish cover.

Capt

@maccar Hi there, hope you doin good.

Interesting Rufus W ditty. I was musing last week that I -think- I like Martha Wainwright's debut (05) album as much as RW's output. Do you know this one? It's loosely folk, but has depth & quality of songwriting you'd almost expect.. with some outstanding sections. Pinkish cover.

Capt
Hi Captain, couldn't see a youtube link there.
Incidentally, are you a fan of Dylan?

Hi Captain, couldn't see a youtube link there.
Incidentally, are you a fan of Dylan?

Sorry 'pinkish cover' was a bit daft of me Maccar. Dylan. I'm an absolute anomally I think, by being a folkie for sure, but not being a fan of even 1 song of BD's, I'm afraid. Sacrilegious to you I'm certain.

Martha Wainwright song from her debut below (only album Ive felt any compulsion to have, purely by it being such a treat & I simply don't want anything more to water-down my pov).

I say it's folk cos it's got brushes in(!). And I imagine it being played live in the Bang-Bang bar, in Twin Peaks too..

Sorry 'pinkish cover' was a bit daft of me Maccar. Dylan. I'm an absolute anomally I think, by being a folkie for sure, but not being a fan of even 1 song of BD's, I'm afraid. Sacrilegious to you I'm certain.

Martha Wainwright song from her debut below (only album Ive felt any compulsion to have, purely by it being such a treat & I simply don't want anything more to water-down my pov).

I say it's folk cos it's got brushes in(!). And I imagine it being played live in the Bang-Bang bar, in Twin Peaks too..

Not at all, I've only just got into him and even then in a relatively small way... bought Freewheeling and Times they are a changing, might get Blood on the tracks and that will be that.

@maccar Hey I like the Scott Matthews. His voice sounds so similar to Rufus W, but better, richer. And a gorgeous sounding Kalamazoo? acoustic accompanying, or something vintage like that. Harmonies too, Impressive.

(I can only imagine how some of these sound on your system my goodness).

I think M.Ward was one of the 'cool' new americna-folkies of Circa early 2000's? NN was lauded at the time, sort of in the same boat. Rather effortless that one, sounding just like, he's been doing it for 20 years.

I think you need do a new BDylan thread @maccar bound to be uber-BD nerds lurking on pfm. Just reading a cricket book, it says R.D.G.Willis (England 80's captain & fast bowler) was such a nerd, middle-naming his daughter Dylan.

Anything at Glasto that's caught your attention? Maybe like me you don't have a tv license. Capt

I think M.Ward was one of the 'cool' new americna-folkies of Circa early 2000's? NN was lauded at the time, sort of in the same boat. Rather effortless that one, sounding just like, he's been doing it for 20 years.

I think you need do a new BDylan thread @maccar bound to be uber-BD nerds lurking on pfm. Just reading a cricket book, it says R.D.G.Willis (England 80's captain & fast bowler) was such a nerd, middle-naming his daughter Dylan.

Anything at Glasto that's caught your attention? Maybe like me you don't have a tv license. Capt
I don't really enjoy watching live music on the TV, besides there's so much going on and they probably miss out ones I'd be interested in.

I've reached my 60's and I think I'm ready to try some Bob Dylan! albums I quite like are Blood on the Tracks, The Times Are A Changing and Freewheeling Bob Dylan... are there any more that I should try?
Well, since you mention Dylan's second and third album, the obvious place to start is the fourth, Another Side Of. Dylan puts the social commentary to one side, but the album has some wonderful songs on it.

The album after this, Bringing It All Back Home is a transitional album, where Dylan starts to play with a band in earnest. The second side of the album, however, is acoustic and the songs on it are among his best:
Dylan's 'folk' period included a number of great songs that he didn't release at the time. Most of this material can be found on Bootleg Series Vol 1-3, which starts with a string of wonderful unreleased material from albums 1-4, and continues into the late 1980s. Here's 'Seven Curses' and 'Mama, You Been On My Mind', for example
And if you get really obsessive, 1985's messy retrospective box set, Biograph, includes the odd isolated gem from his 'folk' period like 'Percy's Song'

advertisement

Back