advertisement

Focal chorus 714 with Naim

Njb

pfm Member
I have a chance on a pair of new Focal Chorus 714 floorstanders. The good news is that they are a bargain and the bad news is that I cannot audition them. It has got inspired decision or predictable disaster written all over it.

Long shot, but can anybody suggest how they will sound on the end of a Naim 62/150x combo. The reviews say non-fatiguing treble, open and detailed mid- range with controlled bass.

I need some speakers to back up my poorly Epos ES14, and these appear possibilities.

So, worth a gamble?

My experince says bright cutting treble, recessed mid range and overblown bass, yes I have heard a pair in my home, brought them on a whim because they were cheap but I found them very dissapoint to be honest. Sold them on after a week.

I certainly wouldn't be replacing a pair of ES14s with them!

(I used them on linn LK gear by the way)

Nothing with cutting treble should be allowed in the same building as Naim amplification. I wouldn't inflict that on the poor sods at Guantanamo Bay. Mind you, I bet they would talk if I did.

I need some speakers to back up my poorly Epos ES14, and these appear possibilities.

So, worth a gamble?

Unless you're getting them really cheap I'd look elsewhere. Having owned some bottom of the range Focals in the past I doubt they'd be a patch on the 14s. For half the price you could get a pair of second hand ES22s which are a brilliant speaker. However finding a pair isn't an easy task. Personally I think the Focal cabinets (on the 714s) look cheap.

advertisement

Back