advertisement

Focal,Audiovector,Pro AC Speaker advice

greygoose

pfm Member
I hope to travel to the UK in the short while to audition speakers for my new system(ATC SIA2-150 Amp & Chord 76HD DAC & PC)
After listening unbiased to a few speakers the ones that caught my attention were the Focal 1028 BE and the B&W804D both producing the high end treble dynamics and soundstage I desire.
My two issues with the Focal 1028BE was the "thinny" sound production on Piano music and some vocals/midrange lacking in emotion and more importantly that my budget is only 2-3K.
The B&W treble was good but the sound lacked coherence between the drivers and again was out of price range.

Following 3 speakers are within my price range pre loved but will be difficult to audition them, so if anyone has listened to any of these speakers any info would be greatly appreciated.

1. Pro AC D28 or D38R (Ribbon tweeter)
2. Audiovector mi3 Avantdard
3. Focal 1027BE / 37BE (older model)
4 Kudos cardea C30

Which Proac's the D18 OR D28, I am particularly interested in any info on the standard tweeters and the ribbon tweeters.

Such a matter of taste. I like the Proac 'D' series Ive heard, actively dislike the Focal speakers you mention, have only heard one pair of Audiovectors and was so-so about them. I've liked the Kudos speakers I've heard.

So, my choice would be Kudos or Proac from your list. Its like asking me if I like Curry or Pizza though.. what do YOU like?

Votes of confidence for the Pro AC and the Kudos, not too many fans of audiovectors.
I know the ATC amp might not be the best choice to bring out the midrange of the Focals and that its a sound that you either love or hate.
I have been given good recommendations of the Neat ultimatium upward firing tweeters, would they be in the same league as the focal/ ProAC/Kudos or do they just fill the room?
Friday, marmite with my curry or pizza!!!!

Ex Brickie, interesting I had a demo with the 1028BE using DCS cdp/clock and class A MF amp and the sound was excellent but the midrange was lean on some of my demo cd's that I have heard a lot better, Piano was not good either which is important.
The demo room was very live and reflective so the dealer plugged in a pair of bigger Focal "scalas" which he said would not be as room dependent and would be better to show the midrange off.
There was a noticable improvement but still left question marks??
Focal Diablo's should be better in the midrange but require top end gear and not good with CD source (did not demo when I saw the 8k price)
How do you find piano / midrange with your speaker and what source / cables would you recommend?

Spacy,
Thanks for the link , the ATC SCM 40'S are the natural match for my amp, I did demo them and found them to be an excellent choice ( all midrange / studio sound) but there was no high end treble and I found the sound flat and not to my taste (no excitement) and need to be played very loud to cone alive!!
I believe there is a new tweeter to be included in the range but not till next year apparently...
And they are seriously good value for money.

Just wondered why they are difficult to audition?

Incidentally, the tweeter kudos use is great, so you may find this more to your taste.

I associate proac D series with a nice warm bass, more my thing. I haven't heard the ribbon proacs.

Have you considered widening the net further?.. much as I like proac, kudos etc... I like other speakerss better.

Its always hard when people ask if they should buy wine or whiskey when you prefer a beer..

Bottleneck,
I live in ireland and there is a limited stock of speakers carried that I can listen to really just 2-3 shops..
I have audtioned atc, B&W, Focal ans spendor.
I am open to all suggestions regarding speakers as names/brands do not mean much to me, just the sound.
I plan on doing this only once hopefully as you can see how difficult and expensive a hobby it is.
My intention is to get a the best used speaker out that will last me many years, my initial reaction to many of the new 2K speakers was that I was underwhelmed by their quality v their sound.( Looking for 6k new speaker going for 2-3K)
Any speaker that has a good treble and midrange will be considered, to date I have not found the allrounder I require.
The beer I like is Focal treble and ATC midrange to date, the other models selected were from recommendations / reviews.
What speaker have you found to be better?

Have you tried Audio Emotion, they do a 14 day return/exchange policy. I know of a few people in Ireland who've used this service of theirs.

I have Audiovector mi3 Signatures (the model below the Avantgarde) and really like them. Unfortunately I haven't heard the other two speakers you mention, but I auditioned the Audiovector against speakers by Tannoy and PMC.

Hi Greygoose

When you have made speakers, ''ready made'' speakers never look the same - cheap drive units in an attractive box.

Commercial speakers with really good drive units are 10k plus.

If I had a penchant for ATC midrange with a really good treble, I would build a speaker with an ATC midrange, the tweeter of my choice.. I like the Seas Crescendo used in the best Kudos speakers for example -

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1594

Then it's just a choice of Bass unit. I like Volt, better still JBL, better still TAD.

Wilmslow Audio do a kit speaker which they can make for you ''prestige'' which the Volt, ATC midrange, and a Scanspeak tweeter.

The tweeter is very good, very clean, mates well with an ATC midrange.. I just like the Seas Crescendo a bit more myself, a taste thing.

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/prestige-2-p.asp

You can really make anything you want, what kind of speaker would you like?

listening to guitar last night on the focal 1028be and the performance is just electrifying
also lizst paganini . definately not `thinny`
just full blown and very enjoyable

A member on another tried the SIA2-150 with a wilson benesch and reported that they were a poor match, hence I discounted them, maybe the model you mentioned will sound a lot better, will consider deom again to make sure.

Audio affair is would be a good choice but speakers are new and will involve paying full price, I cant have it every way I agree, I shudder to think what delivery costs and insurance costs would be to Ireland on top of that but still an option if next week doesnt work out.

Phil, Focal and guitar music and DCS excellent, Piano and voices lean presentation in midrange, tops for treble.

A hand made speaker, I have never considered it to be honest but obviously by what you are saying can be achieved.
I have investigated putting s supertweeter on the atc but not the done thing i think!!
What about crossover issues between the different drives, That was one issue I could hear on the B&W but the Focal was perfect and coherent.
Is it that easy just to pick different units and put them in the same box?? sounds like the perfect solution, any opinions without going off thread too much.

Hi

There are plenty of people (here and elsewhere) that say crossovers are complicated things that you just shouldn't attempt.

See inside a few speakers, and you quickly realise it's perhaps ten components soldered together.

Almost all of the people I hear saying it's a complex task are involved in the commercial sale of loudspeakers. It would be hard not to see a link.

However, if you don't want to learn and have no DIY skills for cabinets - Wilmslow Audio will make the speaker in it's entirety for you - giving you the finished thing.

If you like ATC, you may want to consider the clones of the big ATC speakers on the wilmslow site too.

...NB If you dont want to spend as much, IPL make great kits, again worth a lot more than you pay for them when compared to commercial designs.
http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/S5tl Kevlar 2.htm

Bottleneck,
Just visited the wimslow site, looks like it would be worth a visit, pity they dont open on a saturday.
It seems too good to be true!! A very cost effective way of achieving a top of the range equipment!! Why isnt every doing it is the next question??
Or is it not HIFI!!

Because some people cant be arsed (me included, though I've built a few of my own designs). Would you build your own car, sofa etc....

advertisement

Back