Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

FM Radio

Discussion in 'audio' started by Man in a van, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

2. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Yup. Mentioned this on a tuner thread last week. Did I sell my 01 too soon, I ask? Doesn't matter 'cos my cheap as chips NAD is its equal, I've found. Love FM (R2,R3, R4 & Classic FM. Have never been without it (since the mid sixties at least).

4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

How's it good news if I've only got it until half past eight? :D

guydarryl, Rob998, Mike Reed and 2 others like this.
  5. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

That's great news.Sarah Walker on Radio 3 on a Sunday morning on DAB would be a horrible thought.

6. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

Lol..

7. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

8. fiveamp

fiveamp pfm Member

That's far enough away to give me time to get rid of all of mine. It's not like I have any sentimental attachment to any of them. Apart from the two Sugdens, that is, and the Quad FM3 and the Sony ST88. And the Troughline. Oh wait - that's all of them :(.

Niel Blackwood, gavreid, RoA and 2 others like this.
  9. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

They’ll extend it again!

10. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

More likely DAB will be going away, it just hasn't happened in a lot of the world and will be bypassed by 4G/5G.
    What is more disturbing is seeing passengers watching Netflix in their cars, this must distract the driver.

G T Audio, earlofsodbury and RJohan like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

The thing disturbing me is how you know that passengers are watching Netflix, David. :D

12. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Don’t worry I’m sure the BBC will get round to further destroying the fm signal soon.
    I bought a half decent dab tuner (mf) and fed it thru a super duper dac, still crap, internet radio is compromised but destroys dab.

chartz likes this.
  13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

They have screens hanging in the middle of the car. From behind in the jam, you can see

14. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

I'm glad its extended but for me it's irrelevant. My nearest transmitter is Sutton Coldfield 60 miles away. I had a 5 element antiference aerial on the roof but it was still too weather dependent.
    The squeezebox touch then Pis have taken over for radio sourcing. Radio 3 is brilliant plus I have world sources for radio at my fingertips.

DAB was always an irrelevant crap source. I would use freeview as a better quality source of radio signal than DAB. The only real use I have for DAB is a Pure unit with very clever down firing Bass reflex bedside alarm clock. That gets an airing when I'm ironing shirts.

15. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

I love my FM tuners.
    However…
    I find myself using the iPhone for radio more and more often in my car via Bluetooth.
    No birdies, no annoying disruptions of service. And I live in the country!
    Oh well.
    No real DAB service in France anyway.

16. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Though I tend to use the FM tuner, the DAB in my Yamaha 803D actually sounds rather decent…not crap at all.

calorgas likes this.
  17. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Morning,

Isn't FM radio a bit like vinyl and CD's??????? OK in its day but things move on..................

Regards

Richard

18. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Not in the slightest.

Compare the number of people using FM with kit they feel no urge to replace for no reason. That's an ocean of landfill - Greta would rightly be appalled and it would be a hard sell to the environmental lobby. In use, FM is not a faff for ordinary listening and has none of the fragility in use that vinyl had so no major selling point to remove it for convenience or resilience.

The main competitor, DAB has been made quite obviously inferior for the serious listeners - shockingly so for anything that isn't Radio 3. At the other end of the scale Internet radio hasn't caught on for the bulk of portable listening outside of phones and headphones.

Most long session radio listeners, whether that's dedicated or on in the background have no need of a large selection of weird and highly compressed stations when their existing boxes receives what they would listen to. The promotion of digital radio, even when coupled with the attempts to starve FM of content, have been a miserable failure compared to the promotion of CD digital audio.

So no things haven't moved on and left to pure listener choice, it stubbornly refuses to. That's why there have been so many attempts to force it.

BTW I'm not sure what you are looking at, but vinyl shows no sign of becoming history anytime soon either. It never had quite the unbiquity than transistor radios had and is a dedicated listening experience rather than a general one anyway.

19. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

It’s just about the enjoyment of using our old and gorgeous tuners.
    Today FM is digitally processed anyway. FM sound can’t be better than good internet radio.
    It’s like vinyl pressed from digital masters.

20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

It’s just a different presentation of the music, a presentation I enjoy in the overachieving Creek. I like internet radio but FM has something special. It has life and you can almost hear it breath.

chartz likes this.