advertisement

'Flying Ant' Day.

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
It's today!

5-E6-B4963-EC45-4-BD7-8638-AB3-A70-DC23-EB.jpg

2 separate locations, similar time (this evening)

Must be Summer.

I saw a dozen or so Seagulls flapping wildly about this afternoon along with some Swifts, they were making the most of FAD as it will now be known :)

Same in in t'Salford. Not just the flying ones. General creepy crawly above ground day.

What is the mechanism for this? IIRC one theory is get out of the ground before a thunderstorm?

“Since swarming is triggered by temperature and often occurs after summer rain, ants over a large area can appear on the same day if conditions are similar across it. Millions can be on the wing, and after a short or much longer flight, can land anywhere – on trees, cars and clothing. Plenty more get eaten.”

Yes - noticed some emerging from holes in the patio this evening. No where near as many as last year when a veritable swarm were eaten by birds on the wing in a feastly spectacle.

The Marchbanks Towers Ant Battalion (Airborne and Auxiliary Ground Force) obviously have a somewhat laid-back attitude towards their national day, as they are only now making an appearance.

Today it happened in Wimbledon. They appear almost dazed and confused, they must be really vulnerable, one or two landed on my book and it took quite a bit of encouragement to get them to fly away.

Spotted outside The Passport Office, Pimlico. Curious as I didn't realise flying ants needed passports.

advertisement

Back