advertisement

Floorstanders on stands

Chris

pfm Member
Pardon my ignorance but after reading that Yammies NS1000 are officially described as "bookshelf speakers" and would seem to benefit from being placed on open frame stands, might this be the case for other supposed "floorstanders" ? What does it depend on ?
I am thinking of my WD25TEx which are around 1m high, similar to the Yams in size and which just stand on spikes
What might be gained or otherwise from raising such sized speakers, say 10-15cms off the floor ? What is the role of the floor wrt speakers ? Just thought I´d ask before trying to shorten my surplus Heybrook HBS1s.

I could be wrong but I think that it may affect the mid-bass (dip) because the baffle will no longer extend/touch to the floor.

I would not worry about the moniker "bookshelf speaker" - it near certainly started in the US.

I have Infinity 7 kappa speakers, also "bookshelf speakers" - take a Google to see what they are.

I would make sure the tweeters sit at ear height when in your listening position.

That would be my first priority.

You can do this by tilting the speaker, making your point moot.
Only to a certain extent. If the tweeter and mid driver of a floorstander (or indeed any speaker design) is sufficiently below ear level so that it sounds like music is originating from a space below the listening axis, then tilting the speaker cab upwards does not always resolve this IME. I find it easiest to suspend disbelief - and get 'lost in the music' - when it appears to originate from or just above the listening axis, which usually means that the mid driver is at ear level and the tweeter is just above ear level. Elevating the height of the speaker in this way may of course cause more severe floor-bounce cancellations in the lower frequencies, in which case placing the speaker closer to the floor and tilting the cab upwards may be a better compromise. I'd suggest a "suck it and see" approach.

Tilting the speaker does not have the same effect.

What effect?

Tweeters at ear height is another way of saying "put ears in the horizontal plane formed by the tweeters' axis". It's a simple matter of geometry.

The advantage of this approach is that you can adjust the woofer-to-floor distance in order to achieve the most effective reduction in floor-bounce cancellation.

Make sure the stands are something solid and that will simulate a taller single cabinet and not lose the bass reinforcement

What effect?

Tweeters at ear height is another way of saying "put ears in the horizontal plane formed by the tweeters' axis". It's a simple matter of geometry.

The advantage of this approach is that you can adjust the woofer-to-floor distance in order to achieve the most effective reduction in floor-bounce cancellation.

You are not sure what I am talking aboot.

Surely, "put ears in the horizontal plane formed by the tweeters' axis," is another way of saying "put the tweeters at ear height" -

Effect means result I think.

I would be primarily concerned with getting the high frequencies in the correct place for the best listening experience. That, in my opinion, means firing the tweeters in a horizontal plane at ones earholes.

Excuse me if I have this wrapped around my neck, I have no technical jargon to use. I do like to speak from experience, and tweeters at ear height always sounds better to me.

Make sure the stands are something solid and that will simulate a taller single cabinet and not lose the bass reinforcement

So open plan (as in my Heybrook HBS1 - 4 metal columns and outrigger feet and say 6_8 inches tall) are probably not the best to use ? Might I lose some bass ? In my ignorance I was hoping for slightly taller lead singers in front of me. At present they tend to be pretty gnomish-as in Short John Baldry.

You are not sure what I am talking aboot.

Surely, "put ears in the horizontal plane formed by the tweeters' axis," is another way of saying "put the tweeters at ear height" -

Effect means result I think.

I would be primarily concerned with getting the high frequencies in the correct place for the best listening experience. That, in my opinion, means firing the tweeters in a horizontal plane at ones earholes.

Excuse me if I have this wrapped around my neck, I have no technical jargon to use. I do like to speak from experience, and tweeters at ear height always sounds better to me.

No worries.

In terms of high frequency response the effect would be the same whether the tweeters are at ear height or not as long as the ears are in the horizontal plane formed by the tweeters' axis.
Genelec mentions +15º for their speaker but tilting backwards is fine too:

wSNV328.png

https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/monitor_setup_guide_2017.pdf

The amount of toe-in is equally important to get the correct balance at the listening spot.

On the other hand, the woofer-to-floor distance will have a big impact on the low frequency response.

sbir-dip-frequency-response-w1024.png

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/

So open plan (as in my Heybrook HBS1 - 4 metal columns and outrigger feet and say 6_8 inches tall) are probably not the best to use ? Might I lose some bass ? In my ignorance I was hoping for slightly taller lead singers in front of me. At present they tend to be pretty gnomish-as in Short John Baldry.

a) Try tilting your speakers backwards a bit (easy with spikes).

b) Try seating lower.

By the way, real stereo doesn't contain vertical information.

Regarding the effects of floor bounce and woofer height, have a look at this discussion:

SINGLE WOOFER AT DIFFERENT HEIGHTS
The woofer (RS270-8S) is 10" in ~2cuft (vented but currently plugged)
By wrestling the cabinet into various orientations and propping up as needed, I experimented with different heights.

I hope this simple explanation is good enough to help you visualize the setup:
(I'll post some pictures soon)

Position 5 - (BLACK) penthouse , woofer is about head level / (center is about 60" high)
Position 4 - not measured here - this is where TM would be anyway
Position 3 - (GREEN) completely above pos 2 ; (center is about 31" above floor)
Position 2 - (BLUE) completely above Pos 1 (center is about 18" above floor)
Position 1 - (RED) ground level , woofer is very close to floor (center is about 7" above floor)

nX6eh8B.jpg

Stretching the bookshelf definition to the limit, a famous record shop in Vancouver used to have Isobariks on shelves mounted high up on the wall. :):):) .
Wonder if they are still there.

advertisement

Back