advertisement

Floorstander Speakers Recommendation

Possibly! I listened originally to both the RK 100’s and RK 50’s back to back and to be honest, the 50’s were just so much more “musical”, maybe a bit “coloured” to make them “boogie”, but the bigger brothers were a little to “shrill” and “separated” for my taste! Perhaps the 120’s may work, will have to listen!

Thanks all so far!
I have only demoed small Neat stand mounts in the past, too my ears, they sounded a bit lifeless, but not to say the floorstanders are anything like that!
I was after a bit more bottom end definition, but I don’t have room to fit a sub in my system or in my room it’s in.
I did have Mk1 Obelisks for a week, admittedly with a Roksan amp, they sounded great, but so much bass at the levels I listen, that the walls shook and my wife got a bit “upset”!
Not sure about compass’s - I do have a local Shahinian dealer, so could possibly demo, as he sold me the rest of my system, he might have something interesting to listen too!
What about a sub?

I have literally just purchased a pair of Shahinian Compass speakers off of Fellow PFM member Snufkin, today!
Only just swapped out my Russell K Red 50’s and sat back to have a listen! Albeit a quiet one, as my wife is in bed not feeling too well!
First impressions are a much more “natural” presentation with a more solid sound!
Can’t turn them up just yet!!
Must say what a nice transaction from start to finish it was buying these off Martin! Thank you once again!

A week in to Compass ownership and thought I’d finish this thread with my thoughts!
Absolutely very happy with these!
Playing around with positions, I have settled on 7’ apart and 10” out from wall to back’s of speakers! Sat about 9’ away! Slightly angled in to listening position.
They sound so much more natural and unforced, excellent dynamics, guitars have an edge to them that wasn’t really there before, bass is more prominent but no boom, voices sound much more life like, drums sound like drums!
I think my SN 2 is a good partner to them!
I think my search is over!
Russell K’s will be kept for maybe other duties or if I end up in a smaller room one day!

I think my search is over!

Hi John, good to see the update.

Glad to know you've found what you're looking for, don't change it for a while!

Those Obelisks were a bit too much for your room (they sound great in mine though, thanks John - and Paul).

There's always a new flavour of the month to try (I know, I've been there) but getting the right sound in your own listening environment is the goal and, when you reach it, just enjoy the music - that's the whole point!

I've recently been revisiting some of the equipment I had over 40 years ago (B&W DM2 speakers & Entre1 cartridge, in a second system) and wonder why I ever changed them instead of maximising their potential I could have saved a lot of money and time if I'd just listened to my dealer (Tony Gascoigne at Lintone Audio - thanks Tony!). We live & learn!

Will pm you my new contact details since we're only 10 miles apart and my email address has changed.

advertisement

Back