Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Flattening a warped record

Discussion in 'music' started by MFX101, Jan 17, 2021.

1. MFX101

MFX101 Member

Just playing some old albums today and came across one that is very warped but otherwise fine, any suggestions for sorting it out. I am thinking about just putting it under a heavy book of sandwiching it between some books, but suspect there may be better solutions ? Anyone have any thoughts?

2. 33.3rpm

33.3rpm pfm Member

I would be interested too. One of my fave Orb records has a warp which is not extreme but is noticeable in the wavering of the sound. I think it is worse when the imprint is not central and causes the tonearm to move in and out, especially on ambient stuff. Not sure you can ever flatten a record though?

3. Ian G

Ian G pfm Member

A steam iron ?

4. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

There are places that do it using machines designed for it, prices start around £5 or £6.

https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2020/03/13/warped-record-heres-how-to-get-it-fixed/

Not sure how effective they are at getting a record completely flat, but if it makes a previously unplayable disc playable, then it’s worth a go. I suppose it depends on the severity of the warp. Off centre spindle holes are pretty difficult to sort.

DIY methods like putting a record between sheets of glass in a low oven seem to give extremely mixed results, ranging from no difference to destroying the record, and all points in between.

5. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

I have used this method.
    Heat needs to be low. < 70°C
    If possible, work up from 40°C.

Destroyed a few records, got a few good results.

Find a pile of worthless records and experiment.

I used metal g-clamps to hold the glass sandwich together.

Rob998 likes this.
  6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Ignore it.

If your TT and arm cannot cope, I am sorry for that. But otherwise sandwich between other LPs in the rack and leave well alone. It will faltten or not but I have never found an LP that really cannot be played.

7. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Years ago I put a badly warped Chicago LP (transit authority, if I remember correctly) under a heavy box and forgot about it for a couple of years - came out really flat.

RJohan and forester like this.
  8. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

A record clamp on tight usually helps enough to make the LP playable.

9. MFX101

MFX101 Member

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I am a bit nervous about irons & ovens so I think I will go with the putting it under something heavy approach

10. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

In the distant past, two pieces of quarter-inch glass, place in oven, allow to just heat up to around 50 degrees or so, switch off oven and leave to cool naturally. Haven't destroyed any. Glass must be clean, obviously. If the record is properly made, with the ridges at label edge and rim, these will take the weight, and there won't be contact with playing surface.

If you put it under something heavy without the element that contacts the record being straight and level, like a piece of glass, then surely you risk driving parts of that element into the playing surface?

Big Tabs likes this.