advertisement

Flac files options please.

tommy1

pfm Member
Help needed. I have about 1500 cds ripped onto a hard drive. I was using a squeezebox playing through the DAC of my cd player into amp and speakers but found my serious listening sessions getting less and less until eventually i decided to sell the system. I do listen to music now mostly through the tv via you tube. What I'd like to do is get a reasonably good soundbar for tv/you tube listening but would love to be able to play my flac files on my hard drive through it too. Is this possible and if so what's the easiest way to do it. I'm not at all clued up by the way! Someone else set the squeezebox up for me.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Without more detail on how your hard disk is connected and how you use/control things it’s hard to be exact. Is the USB disk attached to a PC, do you use a Tablet or Phone to control playback - what software/Apps? More folk will suggest solutions if you add a bit of detail flesh things out.

Saying that a SONOS soundbar would probably do what you need and is one of the easiest systems to get working for non geeks.
The ARC is £800, there is a cheaper BEAM too at £400
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/arc.html

Another (more expensive) option could be a Naim Muso. You'll need a smart device, phone or tablet, but would probably sound a lot nicer than a soundbar. You can put your TV through it too...

If you want to spend your time listening to music get the sonos.
Or if you want to spend your time resetting routers, wifi connections, deleting and reinstalling apps, powering off then on, changing energy saving lamps, etc etc get the naim.

My Sony TV recognises the Logitech Media Server at the other end of the house and plays Audio files directly through the soundbar. The Sony Blue Ray player does the same and also copes with higher resolution files.

Thanks for the replies. To "flesh out" what I'd like to do is plug the hard drive straight into something like a soundbar and be able to access the flac files stored on it and play through the soundbar. I have a WiFi network installed by someone else. The hard drive is currently plugged into a laptop in another room. I used to access it through my squeezebox classic in listening room via a wired connection (not wireless to eliminate any chance of losing connection whilst listening). Now i have sold everything except the squeezebox, laptop and hard drive. I'm not sure if the squeezy was playing up though because it started not connecting to the server which is partly why I got fed up with the system. Hope that helps. Sonus sounds interesting, i definitely won't be buying any Naim gear as went down that road many years ago and regretted it.

Many TVs will allow direct connection of external HDDs. You'd only get a basic interface, but it might be good enough, if your TV has the facility.

advertisement

Back