advertisement

Fitting speaker Bungs.

griffin10010

pfm Member
I have B&W 603 series 3 speakers, floor standing. What affect will there be if I fit the midrange rear
speaker bung. Speakers are up against rear wall. I don't have bungs to fit and don't really fancy using socks. Thanks.

Bungdit Din
7d3bff3c3110b7dbce706759d553f691.jpg

What’s wrong with using socks just as a temporary measure to hear what bungs do?
My take is that bungs reduce bass output from the port ( obviously) especially when the speakers are sited close to the front wall.
However the downside is that in doing so, bungs also take away some life & air, closing the sound down. I wouldn’t use bungs unless you really had to. An alternative to foam bungs is a bundle of drinking straws shoved into the port. It acts like a very open celled material, reducing rather than negating the port. Only my opinion.

I once made a tube out of 100% wool felt material of a couple of millimetres thick and lined the inside my ProAc Studio 100 ports. That tightened up the bass, but without ruining anything else. Another option that's supposed to work well is filling the ports with drinking straws.

A lot of people complain that foam bungs either attenuate the bass too much or kill the midrange.

It's a long time ago I had these speakers (I sold them to my parents who still have them) but IIRC the front port is for the aluminium bass driver and rear port for the Kevlar mid bass. The ports are tuned to different frequencies, but both are in play in the bass frequencies, it is a "2.5 way" rather than true 3 way design. I did experiment with the bungs, but eventually gave them up as a bad job. I later found some of the booming I had been trying to solve seemed to be down to the amp struggling to keep them under control, they dip below 3R at some frequencies and need an amp that can cope with that; power is part, but not all of it, not all powerful amps like that kind of load. With a solid (i.e. concreate or masonry) back wall they can actually be very well behaved as close as 8 inches, maybe even less to a back wall so long as they're away from corners. With a wobbly stud wall they are a nightmare and need to be 3 feet or more away to not turn it into a sounding board!

What’s wrong with using socks just as a temporary measure to hear what bungs do?
My take is that bungs reduce bass output from the port ( obviously) especially when the speakers are sited close to the front wall.
However the downside is that in doing so, bungs also take away some life & air, closing the sound down. I wouldn’t use bungs unless you really had to. An alternative to foam bungs is a bundle of drinking straws shoved into the port. It acts like a very open celled material, reducing rather than negating the port. Only my opinion.
Absolutely my experience. Bungs strangle the sound. I too can recommend drinking straws.

Another method I've used is to lengthen the port with a tube of cardboard. Experiment until you get the desired effect. Lining the port with felt as described by Fatmarley sounds effective.

Don't use socks if it's a large port, they may fall in! Try packing foam that can be compressed to fit. Results can be good and bad.

advertisement

Back