advertisement

Fitted fridge door adjustment

stevec67

pfm Member
I have a fitted fridge in the kitchen. Yes, I know, but it came with the place. It's Bosch branded, fridge freezer, right hand hinges. The hinges on the fridge played up 2 years ago, you get a cracking sound on occasion and the door won't stay shut. Fixed that with new hinges. Fine for 2 years, so the new hinges are doing their job. I've noticed recently that the door now appears to be twisted so I have taken the trim off and sure enough the thing seals on 3 corners but not bottom left, away from the hinge. I can't see an adjustment for this, you need a decent push to make the door fit, it then springs back. I've had this before with conventional fridges and not been able to fix it. Has anyone got any top tips for hinge adjustment in these circumstances or is this the beginning of the end?

Open the door part way, put the back of your leg in front of the lower left corner and push out on the top left with both hands until the door flexes a bit; close to test seal and repeat as necessary.

DISCLAIMER: See below.

Thanks Craig.
That looks like it could end in tears.
I've seen this done with plastic double glazing doors, the fitter gave it an alarming about of welly. I was waiting for the bang and the shower of glass.
I shall do some judicious bending.

Had the same thing happen. I just used a bunch of washers between door and fridge to make whaterver part futher in to the seal. Worked, and could not be seen unless fridge door open..

Yes, I've had a wrestle with it and tried some washers under the hinge. It's better than it was. I'll have another look later. Of course the fridge door starts 3ft off the deck and reaches the ceiling. It's so much fun doing it up a ladder.

So, is the fridge sitting on a 3' high pedestal or shelf of some sort behind the wall?

I'm wondering if part of the problem might have to do with levelling; perhaps due to the pedestal or shelf having settled unevenly over time.

Does the door appear perfectly square to the box?

Yes, it sits on a shelf. There's a freezer part below it, that sits on a plinth 4" /100 mmo high so it's the same height as the cupboards. There is a shelf at about 1m, the fridge sits on this. The whole thing is sized to fit perfectly behind standard doors in the usual fashion. it's all straight and level, it's been fine for the 5 years I've been here, it's just decided to twist a door.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and eventually found that the fridge had been pushed back in to the cabinet by the door closing shut over the years. I pulled the whole unit forward by a millimetre or two, everything seemed to line up again. It was surprising what such a small adjustment made to the door alignment… worth a try before you take something like a crowbar to it. Hope that helps.

I had a similar problem with our ancient booze fridge in the garage. The door wouldn't seal properly after I'd reversed the car into it a few times over the years, even with a new seal. I managed to pack it out with neoprene draught excluder so it closed tightly. A bit of a bodge this, if all else fails.

advertisement

Back