advertisement

first watt f5

Maybe off topic but I have owned an F5.
For about the same cost as building an F5 you can buy a Bakoon 7511 Mk3 .Which is a wonderful sounding thing.Only 15 watts and class A/B but with the right speakers it sounds superb.As to close to really high end sounding as you are likely to find without spending at least 10 times more.The F5 sounds very good.The Bakoon sounds sublime.

Thinks; must look out for a Bakoon! Have an F3; had borrowed a Bakoon once and was impressed, so.....hadn't thought they were cheap-ish though!

i went for the straight F5. I read Nelson's articles on the first watt website and it's so easy and cheap to build F2,3,4,5 and 6 that i want to experiment with some of them first. I got converted to tubes running 300b and 2a3 so i want to see if i can go back to SS first. F5T is a beast!

If the F5T is anything to go by the F5 will be fantastic. I'm so impressed with the F5T I may just sell my Avondale Voyages Monos...

For me pricey bits were the PSU and the case. I bought a non-drilled case direct from modushop, cos I wanted a different rear panel layout

Keep us updated with your build, pictures and such like.

2019-11-22_07-45-10 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Last edited:
If the F5T is anything to go by the F5 will be fantastic. I'm so impressed with the F5T I may just sell my Avondale Voyages Monos...

For me pricey bits were the PSU and the case. I bought a non-drilled case direct from modushop, cos I wanted a different rear panel layout

Keep us updated with your build, pictures and such like.

Did I sell the F5t kit to cheap...LOL

I loaned MY F5t (stereo 50wats) to a friend!! that was over 8 months ago. He said he's holding it hostage until I build him one. I'm not letting him borrow the J. :) My one and only criticism with the F5t (never heard the F5) is the bottom end could be fuller? (in my system) the voyagers do a better job there.

I tried to order the transformer from canterbury but have been informed a lead time of 6 weeks. If you know anyone who can do it sooner or where i can buy off the shelves stuff, please let me know. I am muddling my way through all of this so it may take some time!

I tried to order the transformer from canterbury but have been informed a lead time of 6 weeks. If you know anyone who can do it sooner or where i can buy off the shelves stuff, please let me know. I am muddling my way through all of this so it may take some time!

I'll take a look at what I have knocking about but think Ive used all the 18-0-18 I had. If you take a look at the typical Pass PSU schematic you'll see dual primaries with a CL60 in series with these. Or you can use two. Though there are those you say this should not be used but it works and Ive never had a issue and if Mr Pass says do it, do it. IMO In fact I had an issue with a 600VA transformer which kept tripping the RCD in my house fuse board/consumer unit. After installing these CL60 'current limiters' I never had the issue. You can use two smaller transformers 200-250VA. I recall using Nuvotem Talema 2 x115V ac, 2 x 18Vac from RS last year about £50 each I think...Free delivery next day.

Did I sell the F5t kit to cheap...LOL

I loaned MY F5t (stereo 50wats) to a friend!! that was over 8 months ago. He said he's holding it hostage until I build him one. I'm not letting him borrow the J. :) My one and only criticism with the F5t (never heard the F5) is the bottom end could be fuller? (in my system) the voyagers do a better job there.

My F5T is in to a pair of ESL57s, so missing a bottom end is nothing to worry about. :)

When I get home from traveling I'm determined to try it in to the PFM Specials; they do oodles of bottom end. I shall report back. The problem I have is that the 57s are enthralling, and they are just in the right position..

I'll take a look at what I have knocking about but think Ive used all the 18-0-18 I had. If you take a look at the typical Pass PSU schematic you'll see dual primaries with a CL60 in series with these. Or you can use two. Though there are those you say this should not be used but it works and Ive never had a issue and if Mr Pass says do it, do it. IMO In fact I had an issue with a 600VA transformer which kept tripping the RCD in my house fuse board/consumer unit. After installing these CL60 'current limiters' I never had the issue. You can use two smaller transformers 200-250VA. I recall using Nuvotem Talema 2 x115V ac, 2 x 18Vac from RS last year about £50 each I think...Free delivery next day.
hi - thanks for your help. i was going to order a 500VA 18-0-18 with a tapped centre. I know people here have said min 600VA but the DIYAudio seems to suggest 300-400 is more than adequate. i don't know enough to know to say who is right but i certainly isn't going to use it anywhere near full volume. I think the gain is quite low but i am using a Kondo M7 clone and the gain on that is very high already. I probably will wait

advertisement

Back