Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] First Watt F3 (Clone)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by eastone, Mar 14, 2022.

1. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Selling my lovely First Watt F3 clone. This was built for me last December by Joe Henry. Build quality is top-notch.

It is a single-ended design with JFET output stage giving 15W into 8ohms and 10W into 4 or 16ohms. Input impedance is 10Kohms and gain is around 14dB IIRC.

Lots of detail on the circuit here: https://firstwatt.com/f3.html and there is a very detailed review of the factory version on 6Moons (tldr: he liked it).

It is absolutely dead quiet and is a real joy to listen to - clean, clear and very sweet. It has plenty of muscle too.

All the smaller caps on the board are Elna Silmics. Power supply is dual-mono. It runs warm of course - I got 51 degrees on the heatsinks.

This cost me £1400 in December. I will sell for £1000 (firm).

You can collect from Edinburgh EH15 or you are welcome to arrange your own courier. With UPS insured it will be approx £60 in the UK - it weighs about 15kg.

I have a brand new double-walled cardboard carton for this and plenty of sturdy packaging. It will be carefully double boxed so you can be confident about it arriving in good shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

Lovely amp and a proper dual mono execution

eastone likes this.
  3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

joe henry stuff is superb . and at 15k a reasonably easy lift

eastone likes this.
  4. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Back to the top

nmtjb likes this.
  5. eastone

eastone pfm Member

6. eastone

eastone pfm Member

7. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Final reduction on this to £925 not including carriage.

Much to my annoyance, I have found a nick on the aluminium front panel - it’s actually on the side so not visible in use but want to be upfront. Pictured above.

8. Joel Höglund

Joel Höglund New Member

What is the difference from your amp compared to the original besides the box?

9. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Hi Joel

My F3 uses the Jims Audio clone boards. Same FETS and circuit. I specced Elna Silmics for the smaller caps rather than the Panasonics used in the factory version (NP actually recommends Silmics).

Joe has built it with a dual-mono power supply unlike the factory version which uses a single transformer. This one also has some additional capacitance in the ps smoothing caps.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Dirkster and hifinutt like this.
  10. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Some nibbles but still here

11. eastone

eastone pfm Member

I have been asked about availability of the JFETs used in the F3.

These can still be found although they’ve been out of production for a while.

I have a few and will through in a quad for the buyer.

12. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Back to the top

13. eastone

eastone pfm Member

14. eastone

eastone pfm Member

15. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Still available

16. eastone

eastone pfm Member

17. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

Good luck with your sale.

I sold some heavy speaker stands recently. Parcelforce48 via Parcelmonkey up to 29kg was £8.88 Insured.

Hope this helps.

eastone likes this.
  18. Aural

Aural Once hornucopia.Now lying flat.

Lovely amp,I had one for a decade with Ocellias.

eastone likes this.
  19. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Is that the guy that advertises on eBay? He seems to do a lovely neat job on the Nelson Pass builds. Tempted by an aleph J . Good luck with sale that's a lot of amp for less than a grand

eastone likes this.
  20. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Yes that’s him. Really solid build and a very amenable guy.

tonerei likes this.