advertisement

First Turntable: Rega P1 vs Project T1?

heihei

pfm Member
My 12-yr old has started his vinyl collection so is looking for a suitable TT. I've suggested the Rega P1 or Project T1, probably with built-in phono stage.

Anyone thoughts on these (or alternatives)?

My 12-yr old has started his vinyl collection so is looking for a suitable TT. I've suggested the Rega P1 or Project T1, probably with built-in phono stage.

Anyone thoughts on these (or alternatives)?
2 good starting turntables the Rega edges it for me just that bit livelier. My mate has one .

Don't know about the Project but the Rega 1 is a terrific little player, dead easy to set up and will be easy to sell on if he wants more down the road.

Get the Rega, better build quality than any entry level Pro-Ject deck I’ve seen and they sound good for the money.

Been playing with the T1 recently, good entry level deck and miles ahead of what were the previous Entry Level options of Elemental and Essential. However, ears are subjective, find a dealer where you can have a listen to both, let your ears guide you !

P1 is ok as long as you don't plan on upgrades beyond Rega cartridges, the arm is quite non-adjustable (bias especially). If your 12yo isn't going to do anything but listen to music it just works.

Entry level the Pro-ject Essential II is the best for me. I had the RP3 and never really warmed to it. Changed back to Project when i got the chance.

+1 (get it?).

I'm taking credit for predicting on here that Rega would do this...

p1-plus-gallery-5.jpg

Yes, it's probably best for her to wait for her finances to recover, after having over-spent on the 'speakers.

Last edited:
Throughout their childhood I made a point of having 'spare' turntables in the house the kids could use, ranging from Planer3 to LP12. None of them ever did :0( I'm very happy for you that your daughter wants a turntable.

And the Rega is a great choice. I'd take a Rega over a ProJect any day.

^ I had my first music centre thing around this age and 40 plus years later all the records have survived intact.....

advertisement

Back