advertisement

First truly new cassette tape in ages

Werner

pfm Member
news-cassettes-site-web-768x1154.jpg

SM900 is arguably the finest tape stock available, and possibly the best mattering tape available for studio R2R machines. Having it available in a cassette format is astonishing. Might have to buy some to use on my Nak Dragon :)

I have a couple of Naks, but I use these for pre-recorded tapes; I don't think I have recorded to cassette in a decade (probably longer), and given the convenience of digital, I can't think of a good reason for doing so TBH!

I can't think of a good reason for doing so TBH!

Neither can I. But I have had a lot of fun since I started repairing old decks and making new recordings.
It won't last, for sure, but for now it is a nice hobby within a hobby and it keeps a handful of beautiful machines from
becoming unloved landfill.

Oh, listening impression for FOX (FWIW):

"I never intended this article to become subjective, but one can't break in the world's first new tape in ages without listening, not? So I gave it a quick spin, using TEAC UD-501, Nak BX-300, TEAC HA-501, Sony MDR-MA900. Without Dolby, peaking at +5 or +6dB, the sound is stable and surefooted. Noise is entirely acceptable for well-produced pop (I used Sade), but gets intrusive during quieter moments of jazz (the intro of So What?). Switching to 70 microseconds equalisation helps significantly, as does Dolby B. I did not try any classical music."

Astonishing, because it would be impossible. For cassette both coating and base have to be much thinner.

If you visit tapeheads you can see my measurements for Fox.

Yes I see that the tape and coating is much thinner than for R2R.
Werner I'm interested to hear how it sounds though did you try recording some music ?
I have still got some NOS TDK AR and some SA and Maxell XL11 chrome tapes for comparison

FOX info, no full data sheet available yet
Base film: Polyester
• Base film thickness: 12 µm
• Coating thickness: 4,7 µm
• Total thickness: 16,7 µm
• Coercivity: 370 Oe
• Saturation retentivity: 1480 G
• Oxide: Fe2O3

Alan

I too was thinking it is a very good price. I hope this isn't going to devalue the stash of sealed Maxell XLIIs, TDK SAs and TDK MAs I invested in more than a decade ago?! :D

TDK and Maxell R2R tape were vastly superior to Sm900

Maybe , back in the day, but they don't make them anymore, so it's the best you can get if you're not prepared to trust supposedly NOS stuff that might have been stored in the back of a damp garage for 30 years.

@Werner is RTM the company that bought RMG?

advertisement

Back