advertisement

First LOMC Cartridge - Recommendation

samz

pfm Member
My next cartridge is likely to be my first introduction to Moving Coil so am hoping for some guidance yet again as the choice is wide and varied.

Having just auditioned the Heed Questar MM and very much enjoyed the overall improvement especially the extra detail and warmth of the sound. My guess is that the MC version is likely to share similar qualities.

Therefore I will be looking for a MC Cartridge to suit the Heed Questar MC and the rest of my system (see below). I will budget up to £250 for an MC Cartridge.

I listen to all types of music, therefore not sure what MC, I should be considering. Here is my system:-

Linn Sondek LP12, Valhalla, pre Cirkus,Sole Subchassis, AO rewired RB251 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Blue

With your budget and arm I'd stick with a nice MM, have a look at Clearaudio, vey very good at the price, maybe a DV10x5 High output MC if you can go to £350ish, works through your MM stage.

I don't think MCs really start till around £550 which gets you the superb Dynavector DV20XL2, today I have been thoroughly enjoying a Benz Ace, another high output MC at around £600 which is also a great option. After that you're up to a grand with the fabulous Lyra Delos and Dynavector XX2.

With your budget and arm I'd stick with a nice MM,

Thanks for the advice. I guess staying with MM is the sensible option at this price range. I have often wondered at what price point LOMC cartridges should be given serious consideration as a option. Thanks again.

You need a better tonearm first. If staying with the LP12, MC territory starts with an Ittok but makes more sense with Ekos or ARO.

Hi samz, I know that prices vary over there compared to the states, but here a great deal of music lovers are using either a Denon DL-304 or one of the various versions of say an Audio Technica AT-33EV on Rega based arms and appear to be very content with the pairings. However there is a bit of truth in someone's statement above about improving your Tonearm first as this would allow you to hear the differences that exist even in the cheaper MC's whereas on a lesser arm - you might find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about!. But in reality one shouldn't knock cheaper cartridges at all - as I know several guys with $13.000 plus tables and Tonearm combinations using a $500 Denon DL - A100 and to my ears the sound is very very very musical to say the least. In my mind when it comes to LOMC's no matter which brand?, my limit tops is $2.000 which includes a Dynavector XXmk2 - Ortofon Candeza ( something or another ) Bronze - EMT TSD-15 - VdH DDT-2 which are about as musical as I'd like. Any/everything over this would be better spent on vinyl. Just my take, Oscar

ESCo Troika.

Don't piss about.

Cheers, H.

PS Ekos or ARO first, of course

PPS My 'umble opinion as usual, I've had mine 14 years and have absolutely no desire to change.

PPPS If you're strapped for cash, my spare is a Goldring Eroica LX which is pretty damn good.

PPPPS For pete's sake, Oscar, put the odd paragraph or line break in your postings as they are always a right pain in the arse to read, no matter how many pearls of wisdom you dispense . . .

ESCo Troika.

Don't piss about.

Cheers, H.

PS Ekos or ARO first, of course

PPS My 'umble opinion as usual, I've had mine 14 years and have absolutely no desire to change.

PPPS If you're strapped for cash, my spare is a Goldring Eroica LX which is pretty damn good.

PPPPS For pete's sake, Oscar, put the odd paragraph or line break in your postings as they are always a right pain in the arse to read, no matter how many pearls of wisdom you dispense . . .

Hi H, I would add paragraph's in there if I could!, unfortunately I'm using either an iPhone 4 or iPad to write these post/responses and from what I gather it isn't easy to do so. I passed my MacBook Pro on to my son in college and he destroyed it. Maybe when the funds are there?, I'll replace it - but for now I'm on a cartridge and tube ( valve ) quest, so first things first. Regards,Oscar

Denon DL-103, then ESCO upgrade later on... awesome. My ESCO Karma was good, my Lyras were better, but the ESCO DL-103 is simply astounding. Your Rega would cope, but it really deserves, and works well in, an ARO.

The classic for the LP12 is an Ittok/Troika. Check out the s/h price for those then chuck in what you could sell your current arm/cart and then you'll know how much to save up. Although I haven't done the comparison I believe that an Ittok LV111 may be as good and some reckon better than an Ekos.

Cheers,

DV

You can't get a Troika for this budget, not retipped.

Not tried the DL103. I have an Eroica, I like it. It got crap reviews 10 yrs ago when the hifi press darling was the Goldring 1042. They aren't miles apart to be fair.

advertisement

Back