advertisement

First Fishie celebrated at Q awards?

Oh dear, I'm sorry if I have stirred up a hornets' nest. For the doctors in the house, it was Wilko, who wanted the world to know his story and the involvement of my good friend, Emmanuel Huguet, and myself. The first publicity in the national dailies and GQ came on the day of his surgery, as he was still being operated on. The next day, we were both asked by Wilko's manager (with Wilko's agreement) to talk to the press.

Since then, other media coverage, including a new documentary by Julien Temple, has all be done with Wilko's full agreement. I didn't know that Wilko was even going to the Q Awards ceremony, until my colleagues heard my name on BBC.

It is a 6 hour round trip for me to visit Wilko, either at home or whilst he was in Cambridge. I haven't taken a penny off him, even though I had left the NHS by the time the penny dropped about his diagnosis. Indeed, I still don't take a penny off NHS staff members, who see me in my private breast cancer clinic with a next day service, as I am rather old fashioned about looking after the 'family'.

As for my user name, it has a satirical twist. When I was a surgical senior registrar in Oxford, my old consultant, a yorkshireman, used to joke that the worried well-educated women from North Oxford only wanted to see a 'top oxford doc", i.e. him. Later I got my PhD in molecular oncology from Oxford University, I also became an Oxford Doc. Hence when I need a new email address 15 years ago, topoxforddoc was satirical dig.

Anyway, whatever other people think, I am just delighted that Wilko is getting better. His first comeback gig will be a benefit gig for Addenbrooke's at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge on a date TBC. So I'll be there with my friend, Emmanuel, and my camera.

Good to read about the background to your pfm user name, as to be honest I had always been a bit put off by it.

Anyway, the news about Wilko really was a lovely story. It made my day when i read it last week as i love the music he produces. Saving a celeb is no different than saving Mr or Mrs Average, it just touches more people. Congratulations on your part in the story.

Not even slightly, I'm a completely ordinary bloke. I discuss cars, watches, hi-fi, etc. in context only.

Your comment came across as sour grapes. I am sure Charlie treats non-celebs with equal professionalism (as I am sure you don't discriminate against any celebs you encounter). This case just got more coverage here because the patient is a great musician and publicised his illness. If Charlie gets some free publicity from it, so what?

A rather horrid display of jealousy, you do yourself no good here, not at all surprising though.

This is at least the second thread on pfm dedicated to this story. I think the whole thing is more than a little vulgar and embarrassing. It hardly took a genius, or a "topdoc" to realise the original diagnosis was wrong.

<moderating>

I'll prune the thread back later as one poster's pathetic fit of pique is an embarrassment to the site IMO. Any further examples will result in the removal of said member.

This is at least the second thread on pfm dedicated to this story. I think the whole thing is more than a little vulgar and embarrassing. It hardly took a genius, or a "topdoc" to realise the original diagnosis was wrong.

Dear Dr Wetblanket

Out of respect for other people involved here, I will post no further comment in the hope this unpleasantness stops.

<moderating>

I'll prune the thread back later as one poster's pathetic fit of pique is an embarrassment to the site IMO. Any further examples will result in the removal of said member.

I just knew you'd fail to understand what I'm driving at. You need to be in the profession to see the inappropriateness of it all. But I'd never describe myself as "topdoc", even in jest.

Anyway, enough from me on this.

how awkward was this!?

IMO blzebub is the most sensible of the loons on this thread. ive never had a mention at an awards ceremony or a letter in the times.

Congratulations on helping to give a fellow human a extra lease of life,
what their supposed status is just doesn't matter, life is life to every body.
It's a great pity that there are not a lot more people like yourself in this world of ours.
oldie

Oldie, thank you. What was really touching was that one of his sons, Matt, came back for a week from Dubai to visit his Dad and his younger brother, Simon, for his birthday. I was invited to the birthday party in Southend, but couldn't make it. But Matt wanted to speak to me anyway on the phone to thank me. He was driving up to Cambridge to than Emmanuel, the surgeon, too before he flew back to Dubai. That's what it's all about. Keeping families together in the face of adversity.

advertisement

Back