advertisement

First Fishie celebrated at Q awards?

Your comment was more than somewhat mean spirited Bub. And "saving" Wilko has, of course, no more value than saving anyone else in the immediate human sense, although it obviously it does have have more in the sense that his life touches more people though his music.

Also it's a great story. "Smile please. BTW how come you are not dead yet?"

I am failing to see your point.

Well whatever you meant, it looks like you are OK telling everyone about how much you enjoy your shiny toys, which incidentally I don't find anything wrong with, but you are not happy about someone pointing out someone else has spotted a misdiagnosis. As an example of a very disinterested parties view, I showed my wife who said your comment sounded very childish after she finished laughing.

I get confused by notions of celebrity and nobody. To a lot of people wilco is a nobody and to me a lot of celebrities are just another person. I guess by that logic everybody is nobody and nobodies are somebody...

But not everybody can whack out a mean set of chops on a black and red telecaster... living in putney for a while I would see his band playing a lot. Never seen the Solid Senders though. I am pleased he dodged a bullet. Not everyone is so lucky. Fingers crossed it's a long remission.

And that counts for nobodies and somebodies.

Well whatever you meant, it looks like you are OK telling everyone about how much you enjoy your shiny toys, which incidentally I don't find anything wrong with, but you are not happy about someone pointing out someone else has spotted a misdiagnosis. As an example of a very disinterested parties view, I showed my wife who said your comment sounded very childish after she finished laughing.

If my username was "Patekman" or "Porschedriver", then you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

Bub, don't let 'em get to you. People who don't rub up against NHS consultants have no idea what is involved in the job.

If my username was "Patekman" or "Porschedriver", then you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

You drive a Porche?, you kept that one quiet you sly old dog you!. Joking aside if you just take nicknames, then yes you are correct, however your online postings are indicative of someone who has quite a big ego, so when you accuse someone else of the same thing, then it comes across quite badly. I haven't met either of you and online personas are very different anyway but I wouldn't say you swagger less from your postings. As I said I dont mind you telling about your toys, that is what we are on here for, to find out whats enjoyable and what isn't.

Bub, don't let 'em get to you. People who don't rub up against NHS consultants have no idea what is involved in the job.

I do hope that the NHS consultants consent to you rubbing up against them, I expect if you go private they will do anything for you, when you need it, so I have heard. I should add the ubiquitous "Ooo Matron" comment, there that's got that one over with.

I do hope that the NHS consultants consent to you rubbing up against them, I expect if you go private they will do anything for you, when you need it, so I have heard. I should add the ubiquitous "Ooo Matron" comment, there that's got that one over with.
:D:D:D

I am seeing my Consultant next week. He is very competent and everything about him is beyond approach. Although the most notable thing about him is he is in every respect a ringer for Uncle Monty and I am always tempted to remark on the superiority of the Cauliflower to the Rose.

Oh dear, I'm sorry if I have stirred up a hornets' nest. For the doctors in the house, it was Wilko, who wanted the world to know his story and the involvement of my good friend, Emmanuel Huguet, and myself. The first publicity in the national dailies and GQ came on the day of his surgery, as he was still being operated on. The next day, we were both asked by Wilko's manager (with Wilko's agreement) to talk to the press.

Since then, other media coverage, including a new documentary by Julien Temple, has all be done with Wilko's full agreement. I didn't know that Wilko was even going to the Q Awards ceremony, until my colleagues heard my name on BBC.

It is a 6 hour round trip for me to visit Wilko, either at home or whilst he was in Cambridge. I haven't taken a penny off him, even though I had left the NHS by the time the penny dropped about his diagnosis. Indeed, I still don't take a penny off NHS staff members, who see me in my private breast cancer clinic with a next day service, as I am rather old fashioned about looking after the 'family'.

As for my user name, it has a satirical twist. When I was a surgical senior registrar in Oxford, my old consultant, a yorkshireman, used to joke that the worried well-educated women from North Oxford only wanted to see a 'top oxford doc", i.e. him. Later I got my PhD in molecular oncology from Oxford University, I also became an Oxford Doc. Hence when I need a new email address 15 years ago, topoxforddoc was satirical dig.

Anyway, whatever other people think, I am just delighted that Wilko is getting better. His first comeback gig will be a benefit gig for Addenbrooke's at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge on a date TBC. So I'll be there with my friend, Emmanuel, and my camera.

I guessed if you are happy to be called Charlie Chan you are not that worried about image, is Charlie your real name?, I have spent a fair bit of time in China and people often take a Western first name for the gweilo to make life easier.

your online postings are indicative of someone who has quite a big ego, so when you accuse someone else of the same thing, then it comes across quite badly.

Not even slightly, I'm a completely ordinary bloke. I discuss cars, watches, hi-fi, etc. in context only.

When I first saw the nym, it read as to-pox-for-doc (my brain didn't register the extra d at first) I had to think about it before I parsed it properly.

Oh dear, I'm sorry if I have stirred up a hornets' nest. For the doctors in the house, it was Wilko, who wanted the world to know his story and the involvement of my good friend, Emmanuel Huguet, and myself. The first publicity in the national dailies and GQ came on the day of his surgery, as he was still being operated on. The next day, we were both asked by Wilko's manager (with Wilko's agreement) to talk to the press.

Since then, other media coverage, including a new documentary by Julien Temple, has all be done with Wilko's full agreement. I didn't know that Wilko was even going to the Q Awards ceremony, until my colleagues heard my name on BBC.

It is a 6 hour round trip for me to visit Wilko, either at home or whilst he was in Cambridge. I haven't taken a penny off him, even though I had left the NHS by the time the penny dropped about his diagnosis. Indeed, I still don't take a penny off NHS staff members, who see me in my private breast cancer clinic with a next day service, as I am rather old fashioned about looking after the 'family'.

As for my user name, it has a satirical twist. When I was a surgical senior registrar in Oxford, my old consultant, a yorkshireman, used to joke that the worried well-educated women from North Oxford only wanted to see a 'top oxford doc", i.e. him. Later I got my PhD in molecular oncology from Oxford University, I also became an Oxford Doc. Hence when I need a new email address 15 years ago, topoxforddoc was satirical dig.

Anyway, whatever other people think, I am just delighted that Wilko is getting better. His first comeback gig will be a benefit gig for Addenbrooke's at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge on a date TBC. So I'll be there with my friend, Emmanuel, and my camera.

Ignore the mean spirited comments Charlie. Well done. The publicity is incidental. What matters is that you went out of your way to do the right thing and your professionalism and thoroughness are a credit to you.

advertisement

Back