Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] First car for 17yr old learning to drive, anyone selling?

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Peter McDermott, Jan 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

2. Insurance is indeed the killer. My 18yr old cousin just passed her test. Car £550 insurance £2400

hifinutt likes this.
  3. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Avoid sporty cars at any cost. They will be broken very fast. I see too many teens who get powerful cars tragically end their lives.

4. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

Again thanks for all the comments. Best wishes, Peter

5. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

I've got an 18 year old Toyota Corolla 1.4 VVTI and it just goes and goes. Everything on it still works as it should. I think I would be buying Toyota again in the future. Best car I've ever had.

Peter McDermott likes this.
  6. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

I have twins starting to drive too - bit scared about the sums involved - was that quote the total or each?

7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes ... we just bought a 500 pound banger !!! i still cannot fathom how fully comp cost 2000 pounds less than third party fire and theft !! 3200 quid with a 600 pound excess is reasonable i suppose but painful on the wallet [ 24 year old new driver]

8. robs

robs should know how this works by no

Crazy figures.
    OP - take a look at MoreThan, with a tracker.
    We bought an old 1.1l Kia Picanto (£700) a couple of years ago...my daughter as main driver but myself also on the insurance. Was about £850 after she passed her test, considerably less before. Didn't go up when the second daughter was added a year and a bit later for lessons. Can't remember exact figure but about the same now with both having passed test and myself and wife on the policy (decreased by adding my wife, even though she doesn't drive it).
    Parked on the drive though in rural Sussex.

hifinutt likes this.
  9. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

Thanks Robs

10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , more than with a tracker is what we chose . black box being fitted tommorow , by the way. what happens when you trade up ? do you just have to pay the insurance company to fit another one to the new car ?

11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

850 ... wow ... the joys of rural sussex !! seeing as we live fairly near Britains highest uninsured driver area , you can understand why premiums are so mad here.

12. robs

robs should know how this works by no

They fit the tracker for free but there are charges for moving it to another car, and (I think) for removing it if you sell the car or end the policy. From memory it was around £80, you'd need to check the T&Cs.

Amusingly we got a call from them a few months ago saying they needed to come and check the tracker because it was not working - both kids off at uni so hadn't been driven for a few weeks. Had to drive it around the block to prove it was working!

The joys of rural Sussex don't extend much to driving - many, many potholes (which take forever to get filled and then reappear two weeks later) and far too many huge 4x4s driving along the center of the road on what are practically single lane roads...

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

ah thanks robs , yes i guess rural Sussex has its downsides !!! like any other area

14. Ducatiist

Ducatiist pfm Member

Not been mentioned yet, buy a classic car (mini or other small car) and get classic insurance.
    The driver wont gain NCB but it does get them through the painful first few years of crazy insurance prices at reasonable rates, until they're a few years older and have held a licence a while.
    Thats what my Great Niece did and now she has a fast Audi A3 with fair insurance (think she's 26yrs old now).
    I'm not sure they still do this, but I insure my classic bikes (a 900cc Ducati and a 900cc Fireblade for about £136 a year fully comp for both).

If thats not for you, I'd second the Nissan Micra recommendation though...they are smashing little cars, hundreds of Indian take-aways cant be wrong; they use them for delivering curries, so have to be totally reliable. :)

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It costs more for TPFT because people who take it are not risk averse, which makes them a worse risk. It's that simple.

hifinutt likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That story's bull. It does the rounds, put about by the insurers. They can't take your house, the worst they can do is refuse to pay out your half of the claim. As for the legals, they check that you have legal cover before they take you on. No legal cover, they don't represent you.

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

ah thanks steve , it was rather a mystery

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Bangers are sometimes more costly to insure for the same reasons. If you have £2k in a car you will value it. If it's a £400 banger you'll drive it like you don't give a toss.

19. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

That was for both. The tricky but was that one had to be the 'main; driver earning the NCB. The 'other' was 'counted as a named driver' and does not earn a NCB. Something else to worry about as time goes on.

wiresandmore likes this.
  20. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

most classic insurance needs use of another car (at least), 25+ age and garaging, to get the cheap stuff.