Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] First car for 17yr old learning to drive, anyone selling?

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Peter McDermott, Jan 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a suitable car for my son who is currently learning to drive.

Budget is up to £2,000 for the car.

Fiesta or similar. Not too powerful for obvious reasons.

We will have it as a second family car in my wife's name but with him on the insurance.

I'm based in North Wales but will travel a fair way.

If any of you have been down this road, happy to take advice.

Best wishes, Peter

2. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Not selling one
    But Nissan Micra jelly mould shape are good...and really quite cheap insurance....only weakness is cam chain stretching ...but that's all...go for ever

3. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Not sure if that is 'cool' enough for anyone under 70?

Fatmarley likes this.
  4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord pfm Member

We have a 59 plate Seat Ibiza with very low mileage 39k on the clock and FSH and MOT, also new tyres etc which is an excellent car for this purpose. I would sell it for £1150.

it’s basically a VW polo. Same engine, steering, gearbox, controls

TheDecameron likes this.
  5. Peter McDermott

Thanks Dark Lord, will PM you.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Better make sure he doesn’t drive it more than your wife.

Peter McDermott likes this.
  7. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

A common pitfall: as it will be insured under your wife's name, make sure that she actually drives it some of the time. Otherwise it's 'fronting', which is illegal. (Edit: Bob beat me to it.)

I'd go for a little big car i.e. as big as you can get without going past insurance group 2 (or 3 tops). It's a little harder to learn in than a tiny city car like an Up! but it's better preparation for subsequent driving, better in a crash, and a more useful vehicle to have in the household. Something like an Ibiza, Micra, Fiesta, or Fabia, but a low powered basic model to keep it in the right insurance group.

Good luck in your search!

Kind regards

- Garry

Mr Pig and Peter McDermott like this.
  8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

ha , never thought of doing this !! we have just bought a 500 pound banger !!!

Peter McDermott likes this.
  9. Peter McDermott

Thanks Garry and Bob, we will make sure that my wife is the main driver. At this point in his life he hasn't got to the point when he can have his own car: he'll have to buy that himself. We don't have two cars and at present my wife will need it to get about etc.

glancaster likes this.
  10. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Here is what we and several friends have done..

Whilst in the learning phase.... insure the new car with your wife as driver, you as extra driver and fully comprehensive in the normal manner. Then buy seperate learner driver insurance for the learning phase - you can buy this in weekly/monthly blocks - 4 months at a time is good. There are several providers for this. This extra insurance only covers the car whilst it is being used as a learning vehicle and you must have regular cover elsewhere for theft etc. As the learning goes on, use the car yourselves at weekends to do the shopping - small cars are cute things to park for errands. Get the learner to drive you home. Later they can get the parking practice.

The day he passes you get on and insure it in his name as main driver and absolutely put your wife on too (and maybe you as well - (after all you will have to move it around, take it to the garage yadiya as other drivers). This will bring down the cost, as generally will black box fitting. Consider curfews and so on too.

Good luck - frankly insurance for young drivers is a frustrating jungle - but work really hard at the web/phones/broker and you can get costs to something half reasonable. Took me several hours to get my daughters sorted with new drivers insurance! Lucky at work no one is looking at what I do in my office! Their deal involved getting 'extra' miles allowance in the year for 'good' driving - was easy to rack up another 1000 miles which proved to be needed!

Jono_13 likes this.
  11. Peter McDermott

Hi Jensenhealey,

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

Peter

12. NeilK

NeilK pfm Member

As a follow up to JensenHealey's post I've just gone through this process with my daughter (still 17) -I found that after the 'learner insurance' period where several companies offer reasonable cover the most economical way to insure her and also allow her to build up a no claims bonus of her own was to use Marmalade 'parents car' insurance.

The car must be registered to and insured by yourself/your wife - you then take out an additional policy with marmalade. They will fit a black box to the car (or send one for you to plug in to the diagnostic port if the car suits), you daughter downloads an app for her phone and uses this each time she drives (to differentiate her driving from parents). There is no curfew and the telematics feedback is useful - each journey is tracked and rated green/amber/red depending on her driving style - occasional lapses are permissible! The policy allows either 3, 4 or 5000 miles per year and the cost was around 60% of that offered by other companies - I spent a great deal of time on comparison sites and phoning brokers/companies.

JensenHealey and Peter McDermott like this.
  13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Think we will be paying 2600 tpft on a 500 banger plus umpteen costs for repairs !!!! (24 year old in very high risk area)

14. mad-moon

mad-moon pfm Member

My advice would be to buy a Toyota Yaris...it's a wee tardis..ultra reliable..and excellent longevity with the bodywork...they just keep going and going...

Fatmarley, kevinrt and hifinutt like this.
  15. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

A Fiat 500 may just about be in budget.

16. Peter McDermott

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

17. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

My first vehicle was a Morris 1000 van - cost £15 - taught me about car fixing as well.....

Snufkin likes this.
  18. volante

volante pfm Member

On the insurance question, it's worth checking out if any of the multi-car policies would be cheaper than other alternatives already mentioned (without having to fit a black-box). I was surprised that it was not as exepnsive as I thought it would be.

19. deanf

deanf pfm Member

At the risk of answering a different question and if nothing turns up on here.

I’d be looking on Facebook Marketplace for a 1.2 Fiesta, budget £800, try and get a few quid off. Let him get his licence and then learn to drive, good on fuel, who cares if it gets bumped and scratched? Buy something better in a couple of years.

20. mikebh50

mikebh50 pfm Member

second the above both mine had & have Toyota's both have been reliable .