Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] FireWire cable 6-6pin

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by anotherdom, Feb 7, 2021.

1. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Summoning the power of pfm!

I’m hoping to find a fancy FireWire cable for a dCS stack. One of you fine people has no doubt got one stashed somewhere? A metre length will be just dandy, and 6 pin to 6 pin.

I’ve seen the Siltech on the ‘bay. That’s the sort of thing I’m after, but looks a bit rich given no packaging and a pretty limited market?

I’m also familiar with - and using - the later firmware with Vivaldi mode, dual AES cables etc - but the DAC only has one such input.

Thank you.

2. Swifty

Swifty Member

Afternoon anotherdom,

I can definitely help out with a firewire cable...not necessarily a fancy one though. I have a few different options on lengths up to 10m which would have been designed for cameras not audio.

Let me know if that is of any use.

Swifty

3. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

I’ll PM you Swifty, thank you.

4. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

I too might be able to help if you can tell me which FW connectors you need.

5. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Thank you. It’s 6 pin at each end, the one that’s similar dimensions to a USB Type-A, but with bevels on one side.

6. loosend

loosend Subsequently unresponsive

I have an Audioquest Carbon FireWire at home (won’t be there u til Tuesday evening) I k ow I have an adapter on one for a drive I used on a modded Mac mini for streaming but I’m not sure of the ends. I remember 400 and 800 when getting the cable to explain the ends, not sure which relates to a 6 pin however

7. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Sounds definitely of interest, thank you. The later 800 standard referred to an increased transfer speed and used a 9 pin connector I understand, but it looks like adaptors are available.

8. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

I have these two FireWire Cables, I bought them for data transfer between Macs. They're good quality data cables but not 'audiophile' cables.

[​IMG]

You're welcome to them for the cost of postage and a donation to PFM if you feel so moved. Assume they are 1m long.

Regards,

Mark

9. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Mark, thank you.

Of those, the 6 pin connector is top right and it’s ideally a one metre-ish cable with that connector at each end that I’m after.

I’m very happy to recognise your time and effort when I do make the donation to pfm - but still looking, thank you.

10. mark121211

mark121211 pfm Member

I have a bagged 2m Lindy Firewire 400 cable. Lindy p/n 30861 (plenty of images on the net which saves me having to post one).
    Was used in a static studio install so has only been connected / disconneceted a handful of times. Same as the other Mark you're welcome to it for the cost of postage and a small donation to PFM or Cancer charity of your choice.

11. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Thanks Mark, that looks ideal. I’m keen to wait for ‘loosend’ to check what fittings his Audioquest has, but don’t put your Lindy away just yet if you’ve already dug it out! I’ll PM you, thanks.

12. mark121211

mark121211 pfm Member

Take you're time.....it's yours if you want it.

13. loosend

loosend Subsequently unresponsive

In the above picture, my Audioquest Carbon cable has the two ends on the right hand side

14. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Right. With me to research what adaptors are available! Thank you.

Edited - unfortunately this Carbon is too short at 0.75m, with no ability to reconfigure the system to suit on this occasion.

I’ll follow up on one of the PM conversations for a quality ‘non-audiophile’ cable, and let this thread fade now - thank you all.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021